Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing video, music and games on Facebook

Beans

Playing video, music and games on Facebook

My XP OS died and wiped computer. Installed Ubuntu 12.04 OS yesterday. Cannot afford to buy OS right now on Social Security. I cannot play music videos on youtube, listen to lectures in my online classes, and play games on Facebook. Cannot install adobe flash player. I tried several times for flash 10 and 11, and get error box stating not current or correct channel. What do I do? Some player starting with a T is on here but it does not work with what I need to do. Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Playing video, music and games on Facebook

How did you try install the Flash player? The recommended way is to install it from the Software Center.

Beans

Cannot install flash player

My neighbor gave me Ubuntu 10.04 to install since my XP OS crashed. Wiped the harddrive. Always used windows OS before. I cannot listen to music videos nor lectures in my online classes. Had to pull out of school. Tried installing adobe flash player for Linux systems several times and get error box about a channel. What do I do?

Welcome to the forum.

Threads merged. Please do not create duplicate threads on the same topic. Thank you.

Beans

Didn´t mean to do duplicate threads. I tried finding the first one and then thought maybe after asking a question I did not get enough replies 50 is it, so posted again. Could not find the first thread!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Hi, vocaldix

One post indicates you have 10.04 and the other 12.04 . 10.04 is not supported anymore and you can't install programs. If you have 12.04 open the software center and install the adobe flash plugin.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

vocaldix; Hi !

Let me see what I can do to help.
    !st thing ...version 10.04 has reached it's End Of Life and is no longer supported. It is recommended to upgrade to a current version that does have full support. This will a a big help in resolving this current issue.

There are a number of ways to do this, and choosing a method can be very confusing to one that is not aware. The easier method, in my opinion, is simply download a .iso file and burn this .iso file as an "image" to a disk and do what is called a "clean" install -> setting up to a clean slate. See the links under "ubuntu community" at the top of the forum page.

In the initial stage of the install is are two option check boxes that may resolve your present problems with your communications - check install updates during installation AND install 3rd party software (includes flash).

If I may suggest version 12.04 - the current Long Term Support version - as it will maintain support until April of 2017.

Be advised it would be a real pain to work with an old release; as a newer user to ubuntu the experience will be better with a current version.

The latter releases have "unity" as the desk top and is a big difference from what you may have been accustomed to. As well older hardware will not perform as well as may be desired. An alternate version may be more in-line with your hardware and expectations like maybe lubuntu ( I like it too !)

just my thoughts

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

My friend next door gave me the disk for 12.04 but my mouse will not work then. It is a microsoft optical mouse so maybe it will not work with Linux systems? I could not install the driver. Now I know why I cannot install anything on 10.04 thanks. Maybe I will need to buy a regular mouse? Let me know.

Beans

Oh by the way, I have always used win 2000, and win XP or Vista. My first time using Linux.

Beans

Er, under which category and which link do I use for clean install? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast