Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install ubuntu

Beans

Cannot install ubuntu

I have acer aspire 4752, bought on 15th august 2012, it didn't ship with ANY windows , and the win 7 that the dealer installed was pirated so one day it crashed, and i installed WINDOWS 8 PRO.
    the reason for stating that win 7 thing is because after searching the htreads i found there is an issue with secure boot so i think that thats not my issue. I made a live usb of UBUNTU 13.04 64-bit.
    I have CHECKED the md5hash and its correctand i have used unetbootin to create the usb I have no problems in booting with USB and the live usb works well, i am typing through the booted live usb now infact the even BCMwifi works out of box but i when i PROCEED TO INSTALL NOTHING HAPPENS JUST BLACK SCREEN AND THEN IT REBOOTS. i have done it 10 times just the same thing no error or message just black screen and the system restarts , please someone help me i really want to install ubuntu

thank you very much evryone who took the time to reply to a complete dumb like me
    Last edited by manngaurav; June 17th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot install ubuntu

Perhaps the .iso did not burn correctly. Try burning it again.

Also tell us how did you install Windows8? Did you install it in UEFI mode or the BIOS mode?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Honestly, I think the iso burn is bad. Reason I say that is, I tried a few times to get unetbootin to make the USB drive bootable. It kind of does but apparently 13.04 does NOT play well with unetbootin. What I ended up doing was using one of two methods:
    1) Use PowerISO on Windows. It'll burn it right (though it is a pain to get it to format the drive entirely again after you're done with the liveUSB.)
    2) Use the Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu (if you have access.) Absolutely no issues with this method.

Beans

ok i burned the iso again using the startup disk creator but now i dont have any dual boot option..?Screenshot from 2013-06-16 18:10:03.jpgScreenshot from 2013-06-16 18:10:03.jpg ,

before this step this appears Screenshot from 2013-06-16 18:13:12.jpg i have tried doing both YES and NO , i even tried YES once it gave no dual boot , then i rebooted and tried NO still didnt give th edual boot option

Beans

Looks like it's saying that your primary hard drive is already mounted (ie, you probably clicked on it in Files or something.)
    Go ahead and unmount it. Then you should be able to see the option to install alongside Windows. It just can't "see" that Windows is on it while it's mounted.
    You can either unmount it in the installer or in Gparted, which is available on the liveUSB.

Edit- and since I'm not too familiar with Ubiquity, you might have to restart the installer once it's unmounted so it can see it.
    Last edited by cincinnatus13; June 16th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Windows 8 has this 'fast startup' feature, which is actually 'Hibernates' your Computer when you shutdown. You may have to disable it because in effect Windows is still running with 'fast startup' enabled and that its partition is in use.

To disable 'fast startup' in Windows8: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Also post the output of the following command; run it from Ubuntu DVD/USB->Try Ubuntu without installing-> Terminal [Ctrl+Alt+T]:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

the 'fast startup' thing shouldn't apply because on the first usb it showed the dual boot option, meanwhile i am mounting again , so will post back

Beans

how to install

I am going to install ubuntu with DUAL BOOT OPTION i want to install it on the highlighted drive here
    Screenshot from 2013-06-17 07:32:44.jpg and i dont want to mess with anything else other than this drive it has 124 gb space and is completely empty but when i click next this shows up Screenshot from 2013-06-17 07:39:24.jpg please tell me how to DUAL BOOT , again i want my ubuntu installed on the hihglighted drive only .
    Last edited by manngaurav; June 17th, 2013 at 08:58 AM.

Beans

without doing anything else i just re-mounted and now the dual boot option (but using dual boot does the same thing black screen and reeboot so i have chosen the something else option here ) shows but i got stuck here:

i want to DUAL BOOT with my UBUNUT 13.04 installed on the HIGHLIGHTED DRIVE ONLY Screenshot from 2013-06-17 07:32:44.jpgScreenshot from 2013-06-17 07:39:24.jpg

but when i click install that error shows up . what to do please once again i need DUAL BOOT and the ubuntu should be INSTALLED ON /DEV/SDA4/ ntfs ONLY. I dont want to mess with anything else
    Last edited by manngaurav; June 17th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Beans

here is the output of parted -l
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Model: ATA ST9500325AS (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 106MB 107GB 107GB primary ntfs boot
    2 107GB 215GB 107GB primary ntfs
    3 215GB 366GB 151GB primary ntfs