Thread: using the ftp

Beans

Post using the ftp

Hello dear Ubuntu users!

I've got PC (12.04 on it) and laptop (10.04 on it). My multimedia files are on my laptop and I was wondering how to copy them on my PC. I've heard that bast way to do it is ftp but I dont know how to use it. Is it similar to ssh where I must enter user@hostname or its completely different?
    Plz someone help me
    Last edited by kom333; July 9th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Beans

Re: using the ftp

You can try using samba to share folders, simply right click on the folder > Properties > Share. It will ask you to install samba if you haven't already.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kom333 View Post
    Hello dear Ubuntu users!
    MUCH better than:
    Quote Originally Posted by kom333 View Post
    Hello lowly GNU/Linux users!
    If you were worried about SSH, you really won't like FTP for it's lack of security. If you are familiar with SSH, you can use SCP (secure copy). man scp should provide basic instructions.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

sftp

Just to give a little more detail to what Iowan writes about ssh, you can use the built-in SFTP support to copy files if you have the package openssh-server installed on one machine.

Put openssh-server on one machine and if you have a firewall, open port 22 for SSH.

Then on the other machine, open your file manager, press ctrl-L, and then enter sftp://kom333@xx.yy.zz.aa/ where xx.yy.zz.aa is the ip number of the machine which is running openssh-server.

FTP is insecure and difficult to set up. Best to forget about FTP and use SFTP instead.

Beans

Thank you all for your awesome advices. And lowen, i am not worried about SSH.