Thread: Trying to read ntbtlog.txt

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Trying to read ntbtlog.txt

Hi,

I am trying to read the file ntbtlog.txt.

in GEdit it will not load properly, although what loads is readable (English).

The file loads in Libre Office Writer, but it is not readable (text, but characters, not English).

Can someone recommend a utility that will read this file (ca. 600 pages in length and about 3MB in size).

I am using Ubuntu 12.04.2 as a live pendrive.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Trying to read ntbtlog.txt

Hi,
    This is a UTF-16 encoded file, and (as far as I can tell from a quick Google) there is some sort of bug in Windows that does not set the encoding correctly. Open the file in UTF-16. This can be done with a terminal command...
    Code:
    gedit --encoding=UTF-16 ntbtlog.txt
    or when the file is already opened in Gedit: http://askubuntu.com/questions/98036...g-in-gedit-3-2
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for reponding (I used: gedit --encoding=UTF-16 ntbtlog.txt)

I am getting this output:

(gedit:5712): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkSourceGutterRenderer'

(gedit:5712): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_gutter_renderer_get_view: assertion `GTK_SOURCE_IS_GUTTER_RENDERER (renderer)' failed

(gedit:5712): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_view_get_buffer: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_VIEW (text_view)' failed

(gedit:5712): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_line_count: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(gedit:5712): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkSourceGutterRendererText'

(gedit:5712): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_gutter_renderer_text_measure_markup: assertion `GTK_SOURCE_IS_GUTTER_RENDERER_TEXT (renderer)' failed

(gedit:5712): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GtkSourceGutterRenderer'

(gedit:5712): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_gutter_renderer_set_size: assertion `GTK_SOURCE_IS_GUTTER_RENDERER (renderer)' failed

Ps

Regarding the terminals I have Term, UXTerm, and XTerm. What are the differences?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

You probably just want to use the regular Terminal (ctrl+alt+T). I don't know exactly why UXterm and Xterm are provided. Some programs require them because they are a very simple, standard terminal that many distros use. As a computer user, you shouldn't need to use them (or see them). Ubuntu ships with its own terminal, known as Terminal, that is designed specifically to go with Ubuntu and provide a nice terminal for users.
    Ignoring the GTK errors, did gedit even open? If it didn't, open gedit as normal and load the file like you tried to do before and follow the instructions in the link I gave you to change the read encoding to UTF-16 instead of UTF-8.
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; June 19th, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM

Beans
    Distro

I did use the code that you provided. The file will not open properly, and despite the command it tries to open as UTF-8

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    You will probably have better luck if you log in to Windows and try to read the file from there instead. Though it sounds like you are unable to do so. (Perhaps we can help you with the bigger problem you are having?)