Thread: Why hide beans?

Beans

Why hide beans?

Okay, quick question not related to Ubuntu so not too sure where to put it: In my experience with forums/boards, the counter that Ubuntu Forums uses for 'Beans' is used for a post count. Why, in the wide wide world of sports would a member find it preferable to 'hide' his/her feats? I have noted more than a couple with such a setting while browsing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help
    Quote Originally Posted by Raubhautz View Post
    Okay, quick question not related to Ubuntu so not too sure where to put it: In my experience with forums/boards, the counter that Ubuntu Forums uses for 'Beans' is used for a post count. Why, in the wide wide world of sports would a member find it preferable to 'hide' his/her feats? I have noted more than a couple with such a setting while browsing...
    Having a high bean count might suggest expertise. Part of my administrative duties add beans to my count - doesn't mean I know how to compile a driver...
    Last edited by Iowan; June 15th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why hide beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Having a high bean count might suggest expertise. Part of my administrative duties add beans to my count - doesn't mean I know how to compile a driver...
    Nicely said: it is for just this kind of reason that I normally hide my bean count.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why hide beans?

And on the other side, showing a low bean count could be seen as a 'newbie' with no experience, and their suggestions ignored when in fact they could actually know what they're talking about.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?