Thread: [SOLVED] 13.04 reboot, system logs into an account, no password!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[SOLVED] 13.04 reboot, system logs into an account, no password!

Hello everyone,

When I first installed 13.04, I had the problem with my system not shutting down correctly that many other users had. I tried these suggestions. They may have helped. On the first reboot and subsequent shutdown, it appeared that nothing had changed. But on the second reboot, after I tried a manual shutdown from the terminal, sudo shutdown -h now, all shutdowns proceeded correctly after that -- including from the GUI.

While I've apparently fixed the shutdown problem, I have a second problem which persists. Initially, I thought the two problems were a single, connected problem. Maybe not.

I have two user accounts on my system, the primary account and a second account without administrator privileges. My system skips the login screen when it boots, and jumps straight into my secondary account! I don't need to supply a password or anything! If I log out of that account and then try to log back in, then I need my password. But not when I first turn the system on.

This would be a rather significant security hole for anyone with a laptop. Although my machine is not portable, and safe in my home, I would still like to fix this problem.

Here is my current configuration:

• Gigabyte GA-MA78-US2H motherboard, 8 GB RAM, AMD x6 1100T CPU
    • Ubuntu 13.04 OS, 64-bit
    • NVidia 460 family GPU card
    • Ubuntu's recommended NVidia driver, version 310.44
    • Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB hard drive, LVM partitions for boot, root, and home, on top of gpt

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by ladasky; June 18th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 13.04 reboot, system logs into an account, no password!

I've waited two days before bumping this thread. I was hoping that an automatic software update might fix the problem. No luck so far. My system continues to jump straight onto the desktop of my secondary account when I boot, bypassing the login screen and thus, the password.

Before I install 13.04 on my laptop, I want to make sure that I know how to keep this rather significant security problem from happening.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Go to Settings > User accounts and make sure that automatic login is switched off.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

I don't know how automatic login was selected for that account, I must have had a stray click with my mouse? Problem solved, thank you Cheesemill!
    Last edited by ladasky; June 18th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.