Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

I managed yesterday to get 13.04 working on my MacBook Pro 8,2. Ubuntu's touchpad gestures are good, but no match for the ease and capability of the OS X gestures. So, at least for the time being, and while the thing is sitting on my desk, I'm using an ordinary USB mouse.

Just curious how many folks plug mice into their laptops?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

I don't! I use a trackball instead!

Weird it seems it's getting harder & harder to find them in stores anymore. Mice everywhere, but usually only ONE basic model trackball.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post

Weird it seems it's getting harder & harder to find them in stores anymore. Mice everywhere, but usually only ONE basic model trackball.
    Do you know about trackballworld.com? I too am a trackball user and the good ones are getting scarce. Microsoft's trackball explorer was highly regarded but didn't last and Logitech has discontinued their wireless optical trackman which are now going for $150+ on Ebay. I think Logitech discontinued the wrong model.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use a mouse with mine as well. While I've configured my touchpad to be as comfortable as possible, (No click on touch, horizontal scrolling enabled, etc.) I have to switch fingers a lot while working on art, or else that gets painful very quickly. It's why I have a USB HP-branded mouse, and it's better for games anyway. ^^ (My aim with a touchpad in OpenArena is a joke. Couldn't hit an elephant if it was standing there.)

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post

Oh man, I wish I had a trackball instead of touchpad, those things are so cool. O : < That would be a lot less stress on my fingers, haha.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Logitech trackball over on the shelf. Might give it a try.

Do they still make those little trackballs that attach to the side of a laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Not sure if I have clumsy fingers, but touchpads always seem to click when I'm not attempting to click, don't move the cursor where I want to move it and I find them annoying and uncomfortable, so I always use a mouse when I'm using a laptop... Unless I have no space for a mouse, then I'm forced to use the touchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I use a mouse with my laptop when i'm at my desk. I find doing any graphics work very hard with a trackpad or touchpoint. When I don't have the mouse I use the touchpoint (thinkpad ) or keyboard shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post
    Not sure if I have clumsy fingers, but touchpads always seem to click when I'm not attempting to click, don't move the cursor where I want to move it and I find them annoying and uncomfortable, so I always use a mouse when I'm using a laptop... Unless I have no space for a mouse, then I'm forced to use the touchpad.
    you can turn off tap to click in the mouse/trackpad control panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    Thanks, will give it a try next time I use my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    I really prefer touchpads, maybe because I really do like using a laptop in my lap, but my new Asus X202e has such a huge trackpad and such incredibly bad performance at turning off said trackpad when typing that I've set up Ctrl+Space to toggle the trackpad's activity. It's becoming a habit to just whack Ctrl+Space when I want to enter text and again when I'm done typing, so it doesn't actually get in my way very much. I don't use the mouse when typing (I already have the habit of Ctrl+ arrow use for navigation) so it works out for the most part.

I wouldn't want to turn off tap-to-click, especially on a nice multitouch trackpad like this one. I've always ignored the left and right click buttons, and I need my middle click, anyway. This is a clickpad, so I could just turn off the tap functionality and remember to press a little harder, but I don't want to. = , It's really nice to have that effortless tap in switching windows, or scrolling in the browser (I use touch scrolling in Chrome).
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use a Logitech cordless mouse.
    Nothing too fancy, but I love it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast