Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Who Uses a Mouse with their Laptop?

Yeah, I'm messing with Touchégg, and I really like it. It's surprisingly versatile and consistent.

Did you do anything with two-finger scrolling and the like? I haven't been able to get synaptics to "release" those gestures so that Touchégg can pick them up. Touchégg didn't recognize three-finger events until I set TapButton3 and ClickFinger3 to 0, but the same trick doesn't work for two-finger events by itself. (I wanted to try configuring two-finger pinch for browser zoom.)

Edit: Ah, got it - just needed to disable scrolling in synaptics, too. But pinch "in" is apparently broken. I'm using rotate for zooming instead, but it's finicky (sometimes gets read when I'm scrolling.)

Edit Again: Yeah, that's gone. Way too finicky and unpredictable.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 17th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just started with it. I had to run the synclient commands at the bottom of this page (https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/wiki/FAQ) before it worked reliably. Buried in this post (http://www.m0sand.com/henningms/?p=435) is an explanation of how to make those persistent. Note that the command format changes; typoes here killed the boot.

Too early to tell if I will stay with it. The laptop stays on my desk, so using a mouse is not a burden.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, mine's as mobile as I am, so mice aren't really an option.

Buried in this post (http://www.m0sand.com/henningms/?p=435) is an explanation of how to make those persistent. Note that the command format changes; typoes here killed the boot.
    Oh dear, don't do that! It's much simpler now with Gnome 3 and dconf. Do this instead:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices hotplug-command  /home/[you]/.input-devices.sh
    That sets the device hotplug command, which so far as I can see, serves only the purpose running input tweak scripts. It's an empty string by default.

Now, create .input-devices.sh in your home folder, mark it executable, and keep all your input tweaks in there (synclient, but also xinput, xmodmap, etc) in normal bash syntax. It'll run every time the machine logs in or wakes from suspend. Nice, clean, and non-invasive.

I had to do this to store synclient settings even before using Touchégg (I'm new to it, too.) Mine looks like this (the last line turns a useless "Asus Key" into my Exposé key):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    synclient ClickFinger1=1
    synclient TapButton1=1
    synclient ClickFinger2=0
    synclient TapButton2=0
    synclient ClickFinger3=0
    synclient TapButton3=0
    synclient HorizTwoFingerScroll=0
    synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=0
    synclient ClickPad=0 

xmodmap -e "keycode 248 = VoidSymbol"
    Edit: I have to ask - are you using Unity? Having to rebuild it to let gestures pass through seemed like half the fun of using Touchégg. = ) I'm using "natural scrolling" and three-finger-drag up for Exposé because I got to like them when I worked with an Air last semester, and I ran into a theme that I liked that sort of happened to be a Mac clone, and my machine has somehow has become a knockoff Macbook.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 17th, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

My parents do, trackpads are a pain to work with

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sometimes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Yeah, mine's as mobile as I am, so mice aren't really an option.

Oh dear, don't do that! It's much simpler now with Gnome 3 and dconf. Do this instead:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices hotplug-command  /home/[you]/.input-devices.sh

Edit: I have to ask - are you using Unity? Having to rebuild it to let gestures pass through seemed like half the fun of using Touchégg. = ) I'm using "natural scrolling" and three-finger-drag up for Exposé because I got to like them when I worked with an Air last semester, and I ran into a theme that I liked that sort of happened to be a Mac clone, and my machine has somehow has become a knockoff Macbook.
    Yes, Unity. Does this work on Unity? (Never could get xmodmap to work, so that would be good.) I like Gnome Shell, but, given the way I use a desktop, the differences between Unity and Gnome Shell don't amount to much. So... I could move to Gnome without much thought.

I rebuilt Unity for Touchegg, but have since reinstalled it from the repos and Touchegg works the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Odd. Mine updated and broke Touchégg - I restarted and found my touchpad useless (except for bringing up the dash, apparently, which it was really, really good at) and had to build the damned thing again. But yes, I'm also using Unity, and Unity uses dconf and all the normal stuff in the Gnome stack, so the hotplug command works.

(I'm actually fairly picky about desktops. I was a Shell fanboy for a while, but there's just so much crap that Unity does that Shell doesn't; I wouldn't want to switch back.)

Edit: Out of curiosity, what kinds of gestures are you using? I have Scale / Exposé as I'd mentioned and the desktop Expo view (three and four finger drags up,) and I have three finger drags left and right to switch browser tabs and down for Back. I'm not having any luck with pinch and rotate, and four-finger gestures seem more trouble than they're worth, but I'm already addicted to the browser navigation gestures.

Edit: I just realized that the gsettings command adds an extra space at the start of the path, and then it doesn't work. = , I'd always just entered the path using dconf-editor, the graphical editor for gsettings, and it works there. Weird. The path specified in the gsettings command (org.gnome.etc.) is the path you'd follow in the tree in the left-hand navigation pane in dconf editor.

Always something. Gah.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 18th, 2013 at 04:51 AM.

Beans

I've always preferred using a mouse over a trackpad. It's a lot easier for me to navigate and use.

Beans

Logitech MX518 with it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't use a mouse at all. I plug in my Wacom tablet whenever I have to do anything artsy, I can't stand trying to draw with a mouse or touchpad. I prefer the tablet for text editing and everything else too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast