Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WoW framerate problems

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: WoW framerate problems

well i had np with the 5.2 engine heh i still use 5.2.1 and it works great
    Computer Specs: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T | 4 GB 1333 Quad Channel DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD5830 | 3x 500GB SATA 3GB/s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by joemo75 View Post
    Did the original poster verify that she had the proper graphics drivers installed?

...She?

And yes, I have the proper drivers installed. I had everything setup correctly unfortunately. Oh well. I have other games I'll keep windows around for too anyways, no big deal. Thanks anyways everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by vem0m View Post
    apperntly u guys do not understand the term pay for it then stop and u have a full program to run those games last time i will repeat this as it has been said enough times now
    Yes, I understand, you don't have to repeat it. That's just more money I have if I keep windows around and not waste it on cedega when I'm not positive it will fix my problems.
    Last edited by Orunitia; July 15th, 2006 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sadly Orunitia I think your best option is to use Windows for WoW. Frame-rates are alot better. I tend to mess about under Cedega, but for raids I have to reboot into Windows, as a laggy priest is not very helpful.

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem, as some people claim that it runs better under Wine than Windows. I did find one guy that claimed the problem was Ubuntu's bastardized kernal and that other distros do not have this problem.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

that is totally untrue Ubuntu has a good version of the kernal no differant then any of the others that work good it varies from one computer to the next one setup to the next and one system configuration to the next ubuntu is the fastest distro i have used.
    Computer Specs: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T | 4 GB 1333 Quad Channel DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD5830 | 3x 500GB SATA 3GB/s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm with vem0m on this one. When I was playing Wow (not playing it anymore). I used Cedega on Ubuntu and it worked fine. Yes, also in raid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

everyone keeps saying it runs "fine" or yes it "works" or such... but if its 5 fps lower then its not.

I havn't found anything that runs faster graphics wise in ubuntu with benchmarks... please people do a benchmark and not just say it feeeeels faster ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I havn't found anything that runs faster graphics wise in ubuntu with benchmarks... please people do a benchmark and not just say it feeeeels faster ...
    Pretty much anything native runs faster than it does on Windows. Games such as WoW and WCIII are also faster for me, since they're done in OpenGL. Loading times, in particular, are much shorter. This isn't just speculation either.

Now, back to the OP's issue. Are you running WoW in OpenGL mode? Another issue might be RAM. Since the Wine loads the Windows API into RAM when it runs, you need more memory to play WoW in Wine than you do in Windows. If you're not running at least 1 GB, this may be the issue. If you have an ATI video card, this may be an issue as well. Their Linux drivers are pretty shoddy and there may be a performance difference due to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow View Post
    Pretty much anything native runs faster than it does on Windows. Games such as WoW and WCIII are also faster for me, since they're done in OpenGL. Loading times, in particular, are much shorter. This isn't just speculation either.

Now, back to the OP's issue. Are you running WoW in OpenGL mode? Another issue might be RAM. Since the Wine loads the Windows API into RAM when it runs, you need more memory to play WoW in Wine than you do in Windows. If you're not running at least 1 GB, this may be the issue. If you have an ATI video card, this may be an issue as well. Their Linux drivers are pretty shoddy and there may be a performance difference due to that.

Running in OpenGL, I have a gig of ram, and I have an nvidia card.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

ATi is not an issues i run with an Ati with 1.3 GB system ram just fine thu cedega Ati rumor about it being bad and not working as well need to stop its all lies if u set ur drivers up u will be fine, Linux ATi drivers are great i have used them with 2 differant ATi chips and NEVER had any issues with framerates

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The actual performance of the ATI drivers may be fine (I was simply speculating) but the drivers are still ******. Support for new ATI cards is generally months behind Windows support. Linux ATI drivers don't even support Crossfire yet. The configuration utility for Linux ATI drivers is also greatly lacking.

NVidia Linux drivers don't really keep up with their Windows counterparts either, but NVidia puts much more effort into their development than ATI does. Bottom line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast