Thread: My PC Can't open my mp3 player

Beans

Question My PC Can't open my mp3 player

I would like to sync my music files to my mp3 player. Device format is MTP, made by Sandisk. Its a Sansa Clip Zip. Infomation about it can be retrieved here (sorry if it sounds like I'm soliciting, mods can remove the link if need be. I'm not trying to advertise, just letting you all know the details of my device).

Lubuntu's PCManFM cannot open the device up. I believe its due to my mp3 player not being compatible with Linux. Is there anyway around this? I would very much like to import the music to my device. I get the following error:

Unable to open MTP device '[usb:001,004]'

PC details:

Dell Inspiron Notebook
    RAM 4G
    3.0 Gherts
    AMD graphic card

Alright, I believe I've given all the info you need to know. Please let me know if I missed anything.

~Cmiller
    Last edited by Cmiller2; June 14th, 2013 at 05:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: My PC Can't open my mp3 player

This article might point you in the right direction:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/h...r-file-access/

There are lots of articles out there.

Looks like MTP problems will become more common place. If you have success, post your results & hopefully you'll be helping others

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller2 View Post
    Alright, I believe I've given all the info you need to know. Please let me know if I missed anything.
    You've missed out the most important detail, which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Some recent versions of Ubuntu have had issues with their implementation of MTP (it doesn't work) which has now been fixed.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Try switching to MSC as the USB mode. From the manual:

USB Mode
    USB Mode determines how your player communicates with your computer. Auto
    Detect is selected by default. You can also choose to always connect in MTP (Media
    Transfer Protocol) or MSC (Mass Storage Class) modes. Windows can use MTP or MSC
    mode, but Mac OS will only work with MSC mode. If you set the USB Mode to Auto
    Detect, make sure you are running Windows Media Player version 10 or higher.
    1. Select USB Mode.
    2. Select Auto Detect, MTP, or MSC.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You've missed out the most important detail, which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Some recent versions of Ubuntu have had issues with their implementation of MTP (it doesn't work) which has now been fixed.
    I use a Lubuntu 13.04.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, I followed what SeijiSensei suggestion. I switched to MSC mode on my SanDisc mp3 player. By going into the settings it was quite easy. I am able to open the folders now in my mp3 player. However, though I can see the "folders" I see no files whatsoever. There were existing music files on the mp3 player, though when I go into the music folder, those mp3 files are not there. They exist in the mp3 device, but apparently linux does recognize them. Are they hidden? I don't get it.

scbingham, I could not understand the article. It was referring to Android Ice Cream sandwhich phone which I have not idea what that is (I use Galaxy 3), and it does not imply nothing about an mp3 player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was thinking more along the lines of the problems with MTP & ubuntu, which those android phones now use, instead of USB Mode.