Thread: Vinyl to MP3

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vinyl to MP3

If this problem has already been dealt with elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if somebody could provide a link, though I'm not sure there is a solution.

I spent a little over £200 (UK) on a USB turntable, intending to transfer my old vinyl records to the computer.

I didn't want to pay a fortune for something that would be redundant when the job was done, but I didn't want anything too cheap either, like an old Dansette perhaps. I was hoping for a decent quality conversion.

Using Audacity, the input level from the turntable is too high, resulting in excessive clipping, and the relevant slider is greyed out, so I can't do anything about it.

Also, I'm getting turntable rumble and excessive surface noise - from records that are in near-perfect condition.

I've tried adjusting the tracking weight, and I've gone through the settings in Audacity, but nothing helps.

Is there a solution, or have I wasted my money?

Is Audacity the best software to use for something like this, or would something else be more suitable? Something with a scratch and rumble filter perhaps? Does such a thing exist?

I should point out that I'm a comparative newbie where this kind of thing is concerned, so if anyone knows of a solution, please keep it simple. I just want to convert about 4,000 tracks to MP3 without having to spend too much time on each one.
    Last edited by Barney-R; July 5th, 2013 at 11:13 PM.