Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security and gaming

Beans

Security and gaming

Greetings,

What security precautions should I take if I choose to game online with Linux?

For example, how would I secure my computer in preparation for playing Battle for Wesnoth online?

Thanks
    Last edited by LearnAlways; June 16th, 2013 at 01:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Security and gaming

You shouldn't really have to do anything special.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thank you CharlesA. You're probably right, in that the default settings should be sufficiently secure.

Are there any particular settings which I ought to confirm are still in the default configurations?

For instance, a list of ports that should be closed?

I know very little of Linux, so I don't mess with things too much. But maybe I've managed to do something wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

CharlesA is right, you don't have to do anything special if you follow same basic common sense rules. Such as taking in consideration that in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, the presence of a large online community of anonymous strangers and the unfiltered, unmoderated discussions, can pose a variety of potential risks like inadvertently or recklessly giving away personal information, including password, email or home address; downloading ‘cheats’ which claim to help you but which, in fact, may contain viruses/spyware; downloading 'free' web and app-based games in which you have to pay to access the full content, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    CharlesA is right, you don't have to do anything special if you follow same basic common sense rules. Such as taking in consideration that in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, the presence of a large online community of anonymous strangers and the unfiltered, unmoderated discussions, can pose a variety of potential risks like inadvertently or recklessly giving away personal information, including password, email or home address; downloading ‘cheats’ which claim to help you but which, in fact, may contain viruses/spyware; downloading 'free' web and app-based games in which you have to pay to access the full content, etc.
    Pretty much this entire thing. Don't forget gold buying either...

Beans

Being exploited through your game is unlikely, since there's generally a small userbase, and most content has to pass through some server that will likely validate it and filter it. I would set up UFW, which there's a guide for in a sticky.
    sig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    Being exploited through your game is unlikely, since there's generally a small userbase, and most content has to pass through some server that will likely validate it and filter it. I would set up UFW, which there's a guide for in a sticky.
    +1. Also 'lo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    ... Don't forget gold buying either...
    Unfortunately, with European's present economical situation, you wouldn't believe how much that scam as grown.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Unfortunately, with European's present economical situation, you wouldn't believe how much that scam as grown.
    I don't want to think about it.

I remember spambots in Diablo 2, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2...

*shudders*

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would do last common sense thing, do not use the same password that gives you root access to your computer, or allows you to log on. This is just a bad idea, having atleast two or three passwords tends to be a good idea. You should be good to go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

Just incase you need to know what ports to open for your game, it should be listed somewhere that ordeal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast