Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Update Manager keeps freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Update Manager keeps freezing

Good Morning

When using Update Manager in Ubuntu 12.04, it keeps freezing. I get the "Applying changes" screen after password auth but it just sits there @ waiting (this was for a good 5 mins today). So I cancelled, rebooted, and updated via terminal (sudo apt-get update --> sudo apt-get upgrade --> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) which did not raise any issues (although it did not downloaded anything, just went straight to installing new packages....I'm guessing Update Manager already fetched the new packages during my issue ? :-/ ) I was able to update yesterday with UM without any problems, but that was just one minor security update (less than 1MB). Today, I had 10 updates to download (including new kernel update - linux-image-3.2.0-48-generic-pae 3.2.0-48.74) when it froze again. Suggestions?

Related questions:

1) Since this was my first time using terminal to update, just want to confirm I used the right commands: sudo apt-get update --> sudo apt-get upgrade --> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade . This will ensure my system gets all the necessary security and recommended updates correct?

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Update Manager keeps freezing

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreLinux View Post
    Since this was my first time using terminal to update, just want to confirm I used the right commands: sudo apt-get update --> sudo apt-get upgrade --> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade . This will ensure my system gets all the necessary security and recommended updates correct?
    Yes. After that you can finish with a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    in order to free a little disk space.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreLinux View Post
    1) Since this was my first time using terminal to update, just want to confirm I used the right commands: sudo apt-get update --> sudo apt-get upgrade --> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade . This will ensure my system gets all the necessary security and recommended updates correct?
    The command 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' can remove packages and install new packages unlike 'sudo apt-get upgrade which only Upgrades your existing packages'. So carefully read the output of 'dist-upgrade' before you enter 'yes' to continue.

Generally:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    should be fine.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmm I thought you'll need to run sudo apt-get dist upgrade everytime there's a kernel update --> http://askubuntu.com/questions/27455...grade-does-not

Guess I'll just continue using terminal to update my system. Trying to solve the freezing issue with UM would probably be more of a hassle.

Thnx for the replies

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, only if you notice that the kernel is not upgraded/updated. The apt-get would tell you that.

'Synaptic Package Manager' is a great tool to have. you can install it with 'sudo apt-get install synaptic'.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."