Thread: Banner/logo over the top of video

Beans

Banner/logo over the top of video

Hi all,

We are installing a plasma screen in work that will be showing BBC News 24 (or similar news service). The problem is that as the plasma screen has been funded by a donation, we need to display a thank-you message acknowledging the donation. Ideally this would be either a rolling banner across the bottom/top of the screen, or a static image overlaid on the video feed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start on this, or what potential routes I could take? I'm happy with either a simple solution or something more involved (I took this "project" on as I thought it would be a good opportunity to develop my knowledge).

All the best,
    MV

Beans

Re: Banner/logo over the top of video

You can use the drawtext video filter in ffmpeg to create text-in-a-box:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vf drawtext="fontfile=/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf: text='TV donated by Mr_Vile': fontsize=18: fontcolor=black@0.4: box=1: boxcolor=white@0.6: x=5: y=5" output
    Preview it in ffplay before encoding:
    Code:
    ffplay input -vf drawtext="fontfile=/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf: text='TV donated by Mr_Vile': fontsize=18: fontcolor=black@0.4: box=1: boxcolor=white@0.6: x=5: y=5"
    Same as above but is intermittent. Displays for 30 seconds every 120 seconds:
    Code:
    ffplay input -vf drawtext="fontfile=/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf: text='TV donated by Mr_Vile': fontsize=18: fontcolor=black@0.4: box=1: boxcolor=white@0.6: x=5: y=5: draw=lt(mod(t\,120)\,30)"
    Or you can use the overlay video filter to place an image over the video:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i video -i image.png -filter_complex overlay output
    I'm not sure how you're going to feed the input to your computer and then back out to the TV though. Or you could print the info on a piece of paper and tape it to the TV but where's the challenge in that?

I don't use the so-called "ffmpeg" from the repository, so I'm unsure if these examples will work with it. If not you can use a static ffmpeg build, just download, extract, and run, or you can follow a step-by-step guide to compile ffmpeg.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; June 14th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.