Thread: Just upgraded to 13.4 and

Beans

Angry Just upgraded to 13.4 and

I decided to move from ver Ubuntu 10.10 to 13.4, installed Stellarium Planetarium and Gimp, both of which appeared in the win office 97 side bar on the left hand side, so far "good"
    Then the next bit I installed was google earth, don't know where it's hiding but I did read needs to run from terminal google-earth, which brings me to what is missing
    Terminal / notepad /
    System / Preference / Administration / etc
    Applications / Accessories / Internet (other browsers) / Transmission / Brasero Disc Burner
    System monitor

I know there is some thing that I have missed onhow to open the above, if I could find them, that is all I need out of ubuntu

Dave

Oh, ya, I find it to be very slow compared to 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Just upgraded to 13.4 and

Click the Ubuntu icon at the top of the Launcher. Type what you want, or click the "bookshelf" icon at the bottom of the Dash to browse your applications.

If you find it slow, maybe you need a 3D driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcC View Post
    ...both of which appeared in the win office 97 side bar on the left hand side...
    I was unaware that MS Office 97 ever had a side bar, or that it was able to infiltrate a 13.04 system. That bar of icons down the left side of the screen is called the Launcher. It's part of the Unity interface that has been a part of Ubuntu since 11.04.

Oh, ya, I find it to be very slow compared to 10.10
    That Unity interface I mentioned...it requires a lot more resources than the Gnome 2 environment in Ubuntu 10.10 and older, so it's going to slow your machine down. If you find this speed unusable, you might consider installing a lighter DE instead of Unity.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I was unaware that MS Office 97 ever had a side bar, or that it was able to infiltrate a 13.04 system. That bar of icons down the left side of the screen is called the Launcher. It's part of the Unity interface that has been a part of Ubuntu since 11.04.
    Yip it was an extra you added when you installed office, set it to top side bottom, App Launcher was what it was know as..........ms done away with after that

That Unity interface I mentioned...it requires a lot more resources than the Gnome 2 environment in Ubuntu 10.10 and older, so it's going to slow your machine down. If you find this speed unusable, you might consider installing a lighter DE instead of Unity.
    I suppose a 3.2mhz quad core AMD and 4gb of matched RAM is under spec ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Click the Ubuntu icon at the top of the Launcher. Type what you want, or click the "bookshelf" icon at the bottom of the Dash to browse your applications.
    Top icon,. It was blank ? "bookshelf" I don't remember seeing that one, ????????? strange,, any way, if I can get this to work, on this version 10.10, when I right clicked on the screen I went to Change Desktop Background / Theme / Clearlooks or Dust / Radiance or Fonts,,
    Has that all been removed as I pre-fare Clearlooks, being right handed

And I now have a failed boot-up, good job I am using an un-used 80gb test drive, which may also explain the missing or blank icon

Dave

Beans
    Distro

I suppose a 3.2mhz quad core AMD and 4gb of matched RAM is under spec ?
    Umm...no, it's not. I would expect 13.04 to be a little slower than 10.10, but not enough to warrant complaint on that system.

Just a sanity check, if you open System Monitor, is it showing all your RAM and all four cores?

By the way, I apologize if my last post sounded condescending in any way. It was intended to be light-hearted. (Upon review, I think it could be misinterpreted.)

Beans

Just a sanity check, if you open System Monitor, is it showing all your RAM and all four cores?
    Yes all RAM is alive and doing well, along with 4 cores.

By the way, I apologize if my last post sounded condescending in any way. It was intended to be light-hearted. (Upon review, I think it could be misinterpreted.)
    In ver 13, and 12 where is the System Monitor hiding ?
    As I have discovered the drive I was using to test ver 13 on, has had a massive read error, according to Ubuntu ver 10.10 System / Administration / Disk Utility

Dave

Beans
    Distro

I think you can find it by typing it in the Dash.