Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu and Raspberry Pi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu and Raspberry Pi

What specifically about Ubuntu do you want the Raspberry Pi to do? As it is, Raspbian is Debian based like Ubuntu, so if you are familiar with Ubuntu, it is easy to find your way around a Raspberry Pi. Since the Pi uses lxde it is similar to Lubuntu. Many applications that are not installed by default are available using apt-get, aptitude, or you can install synaptic. You don't really need Unity, you can just use desktop launchers.

It is not real quick with single core 700 MHz (or whatever you reliably overclock it to). But a nice thing about booting from SD card is that you can totally change its function by switching SD cards. You can have one with Raspbian for doing general thinks or playing around with programming. You can have another with one of several XBMC versions for multimedia (which has some internet TV stations, but will not do things like hulu or netflix). And when someone asked how to boot it into a terminal program, I figured out how to have one boot right into Quake3 (which runs quite good on the Pi). The autologin script I found required the korn shell, but it was simple enough to install ksh. It worked even powering the Pi from the USB port on an HDTV using HDMI for audio/video and using wireless keyboard and mouse (1 Logitech unifying receiver for both).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@ efflandt: Sounds good, but I wouldn't advise powering the Pi from USB for any lengthy period, especially while running peripherals. If the Pi's performance starts getting flakey, immediately desist. 5V, 1A PSU best with powered USB hub. PSU cheapest in town, about AU$6 from Element14. Love the Pi.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 15th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I love the little arduino's too. Lot of fun for experimenting. After I get caught up with all the dvd, etc., loading for the media center I can get back to my next arduino project: using the heat detector sensor (well, a little more than that) to trigger a timer when my cat enters his litter box, counting down a couple of minutes, then running an actuator that sprays air freshener from a can (yep - I think of some odd things ).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    ... trigger a timer when my cat enters his litter box, counting down a couple of minutes, then running an actuator that sprays air freshener from a can (yep - I think of some odd things ).
    Little off topic but ...

If you haven't seen it, try:

Making Things Talk, Tom Igoe.

A few years old but for Arduino. There's probably a revised edition by now. Physical Computing (O'sullivan, Igoe), is another.

Just thought I'd share and then butt out, carry on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please continue - I don't mind this being about all things micro - not just he Pi's.! I don't know if there is, but perhaps a sub-forum for users of these devices (yeah - I know it would have to be a non-Ubuntu thing) would be a great place here. Sharing ideas on uses/interfacing with Ubuntu (things like netowkr, XBMC, etc.) could be quite interesting. I know those forums already exist else where, but one here could be fun as well.

It's too bad that it's extermely difficult to find one of the old (and I'm talking OLD) WD disk controller chips around anymore. I wrote a driver for both floppy and hard disks for one of those in what seems eons ago now - don't know if I could even think it out now (I've gotten old and mind has gotten lazy - or maybe I've gotten lazy?? ). It might be fun trying to interface one to the Arduino (unless of course someone already has).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

O, just remembered - I was thinking there was a version of the PCduino that was actually running Ubuntu from flash - that's the main reason I mentioned it since if someone was more comfortable with ubuntu itself there is still an option that way.

Can 't find one anywhere around here, so I can't pick one up and play with it and then make a little more educated comment on it. I wish I could find one around here somewhere (Minnesota in the U.S.).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jfbooth View Post
    Here are friendly 2 cents. I have a model B Pi running Raspbian Wheezy. Have not had it very long. I purchased it with a preloaded SD card 4GB, a usb WIFI dongle, a compact USB Keyboard w/ mouse USB port, a 4-port USB hub - USB powered which I do not use (yet).....
    Forgot to reply to this part for you. Keep in mind that the max any given USB port can support is 500 milliamps. Therefore, each USB device could theoretically draw 500 milliamps each. So let's take your 4-port hub: 4x500 millamps. This will well exceed the current limit of the single USB port you have the hub plugged into. In addition, I suspect most people are going to powering these off of something similar to a cell phone charger as long as it's the correct voltage. Most of these don't take more than perhaps a 700 milliamp load in totla. So, you want to power your PI, it's 2 USB ports (remember up to 500 milliamps each) and all the devices on your hub off 1 little power supply? Can you say something will toast eventually? It would be highly recommended to get an A/C powered hub and connect all your USB devices to it, and plug the hub ONLY into the PI - nothing in the other UISB port. The current draw will eventually just be too high for either the power supply, the Pi, or most probably, both.

So, to take the semi-technical out of it, ALWAYS use an A/C powered USB hub and plug all your USB devices into it, and the hub as the ONLY USB device plugged directly into the Pi.

Also keep in mind that if you like to play like some of us, you need to understand power load, programmable IO, etc.. Without some understanding of that, be sure to follow a tutorial or book for circuits and fun with the GPIO pins, etc., on the Pi.

Again, to me anyway, these little dudes are a trip. They take me back 40 years to the start of what was my career right out of college.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks Bucky Ball. I'm going to take a look at the resources you posted for the Arduino when I finish up this project with videos, XMBC, etc..

Beans

Have You tried DSL (damn small linux) on the Raspberry Pi ? Just a passing thought, I was thinging of getting a Pi to play with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast