open (FILE, 'list.txt');
    open (MYFILE, '>>dnsResults.csv');
    foreach $record (<FILE>) {
    my $r = null;
    my $r = nslookup "$record";
    print MYFILE "$record,$r \n";
    }
    close (MYFILE, 'dnsResults.csv');
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Perl n00b...Help with Net::Nslookup script

inside test.txt I have

www.google.com
    www.yahoo.com

Only thing returned is 127.0.0.1

nameserver in resolv.conf is 8.8.8.8...bash works fine :(

use Net::Ping;
    open (FILE, 'test.txt');
    foreach $record (<FILE>) {
    #print "ping $record \t";
    $p=Net::Ping->new();
    my $ping = $p->ping($record, 2);
    if($ping) {print $record; };
    }
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Perl: Help with Net::Nslookup script

a post at here says Just a warning: per Paul Vixie, nslookup is broken. Use dig
    having spent ALL day banging on dns and zone edits, I banged this script out.

Code:
    vi checkdns.pl
    and add
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    $file=$ARGV[0];   
    chomp($file);
    @list = `cat $file`;

$filedns=$ARGV[1]; 
    chomp($filedns);
    @listdns = `cat $filedns`;

foreach $dns(@listdns) {
    chomp($dns);
    print "\n--------------\n$dns\n";

for ($count = 2; $count >= 1; $count--) {
            foreach $domain(@list) {
                    chomp($domain);
                    $ns = `dig $domain +short`;
                    chomp($ns);
                    $ns =~s/\n/\t/g;
                    print "$domain\t$ns\n";
            }

}

}
    Save it and exit the editor. make it executable using
    Code:
    chmod 700 checkdns.pl
    Put a list of the domains in domains.txt.
    Save and exit domains.txt
    Put a list of dns servers in dnsservers.txt to check against (I used IPs in case RDNS is NOT set...)
    save and exit dnsservers.txt

Now the Magic:
    Code:
    checkdns.pl domains.txt dnsservers.txt
    I didn't author it, I found it and modified it (I removed "$dns" in $ns = `dig $dns $domain +short`;) because I only wanted the host and the A Record from all the nameservers.

I really hope this alternative can benefit you as it did me.
    DorkBlog

If you want something you've never had, then you must do things you've never done.
    Tools every shell scripter should have, explainshell, shellcheck, and crontab sandbox.

Habitual, the post you linked to is from 2000.

I tried to install Net::Nslookup from CPAN to see if I could replicate the problem, but the automated tests seem to depend on www.boston.com being found somewhere it isn't (at least not for me). I don't have the patience to fiddle with CPAN tonight, but I'll toss some advice your (OP's) way anyway:

1_ Always use strict and use warnings. Your first attempt has several problems that one or both of these would complain about. I don't think any of those problems are what you're actually wondering about here, but it can't hurt.

2_ Put code in [code] tags when you post it on this forum -- just makes it easier to read.

3_ It's normally better to use while instead of for(each) to iterate over a file in Perl. Not a big deal but you might want to get into the habit. Explanation

4_ Have you done `perldoc Net::Nslookup` and are you sure you're using it the right way? Most of the online examples I found seemed to call it with keyword arguments (e.g. domain => "google.com", not just "google.com").

Also note that Google doesn't always respond to plain pinging -- not sure why that is but it's true. If you use Net:: Ping you may want to use other domains for testing purposes. Universities are usually good.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried playing with Net::Nslookup and couldn't get it to install either. Seems there's an issue with this module. However, there's another one that might do what you're trying to do, Net:NS::Nslookup. I just scribbled together this quickie that might do what you want:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
    use strict;
    use Net::DNS::Nslookup;

my $outfile = "dnsResults.csv";
    open( OUTPUT, ">", $outfile ) || die "Can't open file '$outfile' for writing: $!";                                                   

my $infile = $ARGV[0] || die "Need to enter a file with a list of IP Addresses";                                                     
    open( INFILE, "<", $infile ) || die "Can't open the input file '$infile' for reading: $!";                                           
    while (<INFILE>) {                                                                                                                   
            chomp;                                                                                                                       
            my $dnsLookup = Net::DNS::Nslookup->get_ips( $_ );                                                                           
            print OUTPUT "$dnsLookup\n";                                                                                                 
    }                                                                                                                                    
    close( OUTPUT );                                                                                                                     
    close( INFILE );
    If you run it with:

Code:
    perl nslookup.pl <file_with_sitenames>
    the output will be (written to a file called dnsResults.csv):

Code:
    www.google.com,173.194.73.147
    www.google.com,173.194.73.105
    www.google.com,173.194.73.106
    www.google.com,173.194.73.99
    www.google.com,173.194.73.103
    www.google.com,173.194.73.104
    www.ubuntuforums.org,91.189.94.12
    www.cnn.com,157.166.240.13
    www.cnet.com,64.30.224.103
    www.perl.org,207.171.7.51
    www.perl.org,207.171.7.41
    I think that at least should give you a starting point.

I submitted a bug report on CPAN and Net::Nslookup has been fixed now.

The only other thing that I noticed after trying to use the module myself is that you have to chomp the input -- "www.google.com\n" won't resolve.