Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

I'm with you monkeybrain2012 on this one, I left Outlook and Thunderbird 5 or 6 years ago. Been using gmail and I love it. I can get my email from any of my computers or anyone computer for that matter. Another nice thing with gmail is I have all my email accounts in one place. And I can also get at my email from Windows, Linux or Android and it all the same.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I'm with you monkeybrain2012 on this one, I left Outlook and Thunderbird 5 or 6 years ago. Been using gmail and I love it. I can get my email from any of my computers or anyone computer for that matter. Another nice thing with gmail is I have all my email accounts in one place. And I can also get at my email from Windows, Linux or Android and it all the same.
    I've moved myself from Thunderbird to Gmail recently, but I don't think it's quite the either/or situation you describe here.

If you use an email client with IMAP, you can always still use webmail on other computers. One can easily use an email client on one computer, and then a web client on another computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like the idea of everything looking the same with emeil and with my browser. That is why I use gmail, and chrome browser no matter if I am in Windows or Linux. If I use a mail client or IE or another browser things are in different places. I like uniform.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

I am also finding this, I have a dual booted laptop and PC with Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8. I am finding myself spending more time in Windows 8 then I would have expected, although i am doing a lot of gaming in the evenings and for the most part I suspect it is due to the fact I cannot be doing with the reboot required to go back in to Ubuntu at the end of the evening.

However this still has not taken me away from my resolve to move to Ubuntu full time at some stage, this mostly depends on when gaming support comes to the Operating system and the latest news I have seen with Steam it looks like in a number of years time we should see some great games/popular ones released on to Linux.

I thought I was a minority in regards to quite liking the new move that Microsoft have taken with the GUI but it turns out I am not at all

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I have been windows free for a few years now, but things are changing. My Old Dell Laptop died just before Mother's day, and it ended up being a motherboard failure. I ended up going out and buying a new Laptop. (Asus Q500A) which came with Windows 8. My plan was to install Ubuntu 13.10 on it, but ended up going in a different direction. I found a Dell on ebay that was the same model. (Insprion 1521). I installed my 4 gig of RAM and SSD into it and install Ubuntu 12.04 on it.
    To be honest with you I like them both. I have to say I am still a Linux guy, but I have to say MS did come up with a nice OS this time. I guess I have to say that because the OS really plays well with the hardware. (touch screen, etc). I played around with 13.10 on the live OS USB drive and it worked with the touch screen, but in some areas not so. (File Manager for one).
    The bottom line is again I am not Windows free again. There is a thread out here, What can windows do that Linux can't, and I am finding I like the way Windows 8 does things. I am not putting Ubuntu down, I think there are things about Ubuntu I like that Windows does not do. So I have to say I have the best of both worlds.
    I have windows now but it's a pain in my ass. It's slow, doesn't listen, always does the wrong things. The only thing I still have Windows for is because I can play games on it and ubuntu can't. But a few months ago steam has introduce steam for linux. I finally can play games on linux so if you ask me take just only ubuntu.
    Last edited by oldos2er; June 27th, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Please watch your language!

Beans

Windows 8 is fine. You just need to go to Ninite.com and install "Classic Start"

Sadly I'm finding myself using Ubuntu less and less. It doesn't boot on my laptop and our company moved from Google Docs back to Microsoft Office and Dropbox, so I'm running Windows on my desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Windows 8 is fine. You just need to go to Ninite.com and install "Classic Start"

Sadly I'm finding myself using Ubuntu less and less. It doesn't boot on my laptop and our company moved from Google Docs back to Microsoft Office and Dropbox, so I'm running Windows on my desktop.
    Install the Windows 8.1 preview!

The Start Button comes enabled by default, and there's a lot of changes that make the OS much more pleasant to use.
    That's what she said.

Beans

I'm dual booting between Win8 and Ub13.04 and, despite myself, I prefer Win8.

I play games on it a lot. I listen to music via it too as I just can't get Ubuntu to remember to use the subwoofer even though I've tried everthing I can find online. I also do any large amounts of typing on Win8 as Ubuntu doesn't think I have a touchpad and no amount of 'fixes' has cured that and the way the cursor jumps all over the damn place while I type. Ridiculous situation that as it seems to be a fairly old issue. Maybe they'll fix it for next time.

So really, I can't work out why jumped through hoops to get it installed and then through even more to get it working as close to how I wanted it to. It's pretty much just for home banking and I could've used a live dvd for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

jumping cursor is because you slightly touch the touchpad while typing. just go to settings and disable touchpad while typing.
    you can try to put a piece of cardboard on the touchpad while you type, just to check if i am right.

and about the subwoofer, you just can write an email to your soundcard manufacturer and ask them to give you a driver for ubuntu. it is not ubuntu's fault that some mutha#@$%s don't give you a driver for their products.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

jumping cursor is because you slightly touch the touchpad while typing. just go to settings and disable touchpad while typing.
    Doesn't work for me, at least - typing or no typing, my palms still get registered as clicks that select the text I'm trying to type at so that the next keypress erases it ....

This works, though - a neat toggle script I found and bound to Ctrl+Space. It's become second-nature to just whack that, type, and whack Ctrl+Space again to bring back the cursor.n

I added the notify-send bit to give a visual cue of the trackpad's state, although it's not perfect in Unity, since all notification messages persist for five seconds. (In KDE, for instance, since the message only persists until I toggle it again, the notification actually always represents the current trackpad state.)

Code:
    # toggle synaptic touchpad on/off

# get current state
    SYNSTATE=$(synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff | awk '{ print $3 }')

# change to other state
    if [ $SYNSTATE = 0 ]; then
        synclient touchpadoff=1
        notify-send --expire-time=10 --icon=mouse 'Trackpad off'
    elif [ $SYNSTATE = 1 ]; then
        synclient touchpadoff=0
        notify-send --expire-time=10 --icon=mouse 'Trackpad on'
    else
        echo "Couldn't get touchpad status from synclient"
        exit 1
    fi
    exit 0
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast