Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

I have found that Windows currently serves my needs on my desktop better than Linux... On my netbook and laptop it is Linux. Choice eh?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrich1974 View Post
    that is happening because you access the windows rarely. updates comes once a month.

@irv
    can you tell me please how much ram your laptop has when you first bought it? mine has one GB but i dont know if i have one or two modules and witch one of the socket is used. the one under the keyboard or the one below the laptop, or maybe both of them?
    thanx in advance!

also, since you have 1521 (the best laptop ever build ) you can use this app to monitor the fanspeed, cpu use and the temperature.
    i8kfanGUI for windows
    i8kutils for ubuntu (it is in USC) and you can configure like here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842775
    It had only 1 gig and it was using both DDR2 sticks. I replaced them both with the 2 gig modules I had in the Laptop failed. So now I have 2 gig under the keyboard and 2 gig in the one in the bottom of the Laptop. Giving me a total of 4 gig. And also took the SSD out of the old laptop and put it in the one I just got off ebay and it just flies. It runs as good as my new laptop.
    I do all the sound recordings at the chapel I attend so I am thinking about replacing the one I use now with this one.
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention I had a 9 cell battery I put in it also. I have two extra 6 cell batteries that are almost new so I don't think I will ever need to buy a battery for it.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thank you very much sir for the good info, i think the moderators won't get mad if we talk a little about this machine.
    i suspect that the fan is working all the time at minimun 3000 RPM.
    the lm-sensors doed not detect my fanspeed but i loaded the module "i8k" after installed i8kutils, only today i found out about it. anyway, it shows a wrong number but still it gives a clue about fanspeed.
    on windows, the fanspeed in windows 7 decrease to 2400 RPM and eventually the fan stops.
    so, i suspect that the hardware works hotter in 12.04 than w7.

you can load and use the "i8k" module without any conf. just load the module and read the command "sensors"
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrich1974 View Post
    thank you very much sir for the good info, i think the moderators won't get mad if we talk a little about this machine.
    i suspect that the fan is working all the time at minimun 3000 RPM.
    the lm-sensors doed not detect my fanspeed but i loaded the module "i8k" after installed i8kutils, only today i found out about it. anyway, it shows a wrong number but still it gives a clue about fanspeed.
    on windows, the fanspeed in windows 7 decrease to 2400 RPM and eventually the fan stops.
    so, i suspect that the hardware works hotter in 12.04 than w7.

you can load and use the "i8k" module without any conf. just load the module and read the command "sensors"
    I will give this a try later, at the moment I am working on another machine that has other problems. Will try to get at it this coming week. Thanks for the info. Maybe we should start a new thread and entitle it Help for the Dell Insprion 1521 or something like that and then we can link it on this thread so we can find it.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    Competition is good. I'd argue that one of the reasons Windows has improved over the last few years is because of Apple's rise and the ever-present threat of Linux. (You may think that Microsoft doesn't even notice Linux, as small a user base as it has, but for all that, they've sure made plenty of efforts to kill it, starting with their SCO proxy)
    This is the point that many miss! These competitors need to all be in place or the others will become complacent and faulty, yes even Linux if left without competition would be feed for the wolves. Windows must be good an continue to improve or they will fall, same for Apple. Apple already altered their cpu to conform to Windows (From Motorola to Intel), Apple did handle that transition pretty well. Anyway, variety is the flavor of life! I bet most computer professionals utilize more than one operating system in their lives, regardless of their preferences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 dual-booted. Works great, I use Windows for gaming, and Linux for everything else.
    I am what I am because of who we all are

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use my Linux partition for playing around and just keeping current with the community but I find it completely impractical for work. I can probably live with most limitations but the lack of mail client is killing me. I can use Thunderbird with Davmail but I find Thunderbird's interface to be dated or it's just plain slow. I can replicate all of Outlook's functions but the inconsistent fonts, poor performance, and no native thread/conversation view to be a killer. I can't seem to find an alternative since everyone is happy with webmail. Doesn't quite work in a professional environment.

What is going to serve as the mail client for Ubuntu Touch? Will that have Exchange Support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Outlook Web Access with Outlook 2010 does have a conversation view, and it works in Firefox (and strangely, Chrome on Windows, but not on Linux, where it drops to the light client without conversation view.) Do you have an OWA server? 'Cuz it's kinda awesome.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I never understand why people need an email client. Is it such a novel idea to just log into your account to check email? I never need one for work or personal use and honestly don't know what I am missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I find an email client is a lot quicker at getting mail. It can be automated (usually is) and doesn't have to deal with the graphics of a web interface. It's especially noticeable on a slow connection.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast