Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

Business is war. And one company looks at other as the enemy. All are fighting for the market share when it come to OS' but Linux being open source is approaching it a little differently. MS is out to make money on the product where Linux is out to make money on the support and along the way they are building a group of people who are becoming very knowledgeably in the use of Linux. There is a real future for Linux. I believe this is the strong side of Linux. It's like running water on a rock, it will ware it down. In time Linux is doing this and that is why MS is taking note of it.
    No Apple when head to head with MS, and came out with a good product. MS stayed with the software end and Apple when Software/Hardware. This was a winning card for them. Here is a little information. In the past (you do remember Atari?) Their OS was developed by Digital Research, it was the same company that Apple came up with there OS. This was the same OS that Atari used on the ST and TT computers. Back then it was Atari, Commadore 64, Apple, and IBM. And yes, Competition is good.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    but in some areas not so. (File Manager for one).
    back when i used windows i found a program called explorer++, may be of use to you
    IMO windows just is not worth the maintenance time
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    back when i used windows i found a program called explorer++, may be of use to you
    IMO windows just is not worth the maintenance time
    I could live without the touch screen, I still use the mouse, but Ubuntu is improving on touch screen support.

Beans

For me windows 8 is a waste of time without a touchscreen, totally useless too.
    Ubuntu is better

Beans

I have not used windows of any flavor on a regular basis in years . Im not however windows free. I have one computer that has 7 on it. it is hooked to my tv i use it for one
    application. rabbit tv. I also have 7 on my bench computer so i can reference it when i get the inevitable call , how do I ....... thats it. I should also note that both are dual booted and Ubuntu is the system normally booted.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sorry to hear about laptop, it is the same model as mine. but i still have only 1 GB of ram and the old 160 GB HDD. it works great, under windows 7 but works good with 12.04 and 13.04 too. but i admit that w7 works better. on W7 there are moment when cooler stops, i never noticed that on ubuntu.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrich1974 View Post
    sorry to hear about laptop, it is the same model as mine. but i still have only 1 GB of ram and the old 160 GB HDD. it works great, under windows 7 but works good with 12.04 and 13.04 too. but i admit that w7 works better. on W7 there are moment when cooler stops, i never noticed that on ubuntu.
    I did pick up another Dell 1521 off ebay and have 12.04 running on it. But I am still trying to get 13.04 to run on my new Asus Q500A.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8?

Windows free for years..I have no interest in it..But do what you want.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have Kubuntu and Windows 7 dual booting on my laptop. Today I was working in the field, and realized that a file I needed for my work-issued Windows 7 tablet had been deleted during a OS re-installation (due to corruption in the OS itself). I don't usually take my personal laptop along, but today I did because I was out of radio range and felt like listening to my music collection on it (downloaded from Magnatunes) while I worked. I also remembered that I had a copy of the necessary file template on my laptop -- but in my rush assumed it was on the Windows 7 partition.

So I booted into Windows, and it decided to keep me waiting while it leisurely went about installing some dozens of updates. When it was done, it decided to reboot. While all that was happening, I remembered that I could just as easily access the needed file from Kubuntu, which reads NTFS partitions just fine. So forget about Windows. I just went back into Linux, and extracted, copied and transferred the necessary file while pleasantly listening to my music.

I still need that Windows partition for work, but I'm finding that I really never need it at all for any of my own activities.

Beans
    Distro

that is happening because you access the windows rarely. updates comes once a month.

@irv
    can you tell me please how much ram your laptop has when you first bought it? mine has one GB but i dont know if i have one or two modules and witch one of the socket is used. the one under the keyboard or the one below the laptop, or maybe both of them?
    thanx in advance!

also, since you have 1521 (the best laptop ever build ) you can use this app to monitor the fanspeed, cpu use and the temperature.
    i8kfanGUI for windows
    i8kutils for ubuntu (it is in USC) and you can configure like here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842775
    Last edited by rrich1974; June 15th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast