Thread: Simple SAMBA share - not working as it should

Beans

Question Simple SAMBA share - not working as it should

Hi all,
    I am trying to set up a simple samba share that requires a username & password to open the share.

On the Ubuntu box I create a folder (in the home folder) - for example named "sharedocs." I open nautilus, goto the share tab - share it as sharedocs and check the "allow others to create and delete files in this folder." The server name is testbox. The username that logged onto the ubuntu box and created the share is tester.

On the win7 box I go to \\testbox\sharedocs - it prompts for a logon - I put in testbox\tester and the password. Nothing happens.

If I go back to the ubuntu box and check the "guest access (for people without a user account)" - I can then browse to the share and it immediately opens fine (but no security -no asking for a password). So the network is fine - just no password for the share.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Rob

Beans

Re: Simple SAMBA share - not working as it should

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Beans

If I put in just TESTER it ends up thinking its a domain accound (the win7 box is on a domain) - I end up getting domainname\tester.

Rob

Beans

I am still having this problem. Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What version of Ubuntu, what version of Samba? What is the out put of your testparm command? What is defined in your smb.conf file?

Beans

On the Ubuntu box I create a folder (in the home folder) - for example named "sharedocs." I open nautilus, goto the share tab - share it as sharedocs and check the "allow others to create and delete files in this folder." The server name is testbox. The username that logged onto the ubuntu box and created the share is tester.

On the win7 box I go to \\testbox\sharedocs - it prompts for a logon - I put in testbox\tester and the password. Nothing happens.
    Windows doesn't differentiate a local login user from a network user - there is simply the user. In Linux it's the opposite. You need to tell samba that the user: tester is also a samba user by using this command:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a tester
    It will ask you for sudo's password and then it will ask you what password you want tester to use for samba. It can be the same as tester's local login password or not.

Just in case somthing is not configured right you might want to post the output of the following commands:

This will tell us the overall samba configuration on your box:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    This one will show us how your share is configured since it won't be in smb.conf:
    Code:
    net usershare info --long