Thread: Problems caused by changing the name "Deja-Dup"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Problems caused by changing the name "Deja-Dup"

Yesterday I did someting to my OS. It must now be re-installed. I run the (Ubuntu default) "Backup" and have saved my work. But, when I netsearched for the keywords:

livecd, ubuntu, backup

I get both misleading and some out-of-date information on the web.

My point here is that "Backup" is not a useful name for a program that is the Ubuntu default installation. It was called Deja-Dup.

Gedit is not called: editor

This needs to change. How about BackBuntu or Backup-dup

something unique so it show up in internet and forum searches.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems caused by changing the name "Deja-Dup"

What exactly were you searching for?

I just search for "ubuntu backup" and I found this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

What do you wish to do?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As I read it you prove his point with that search result. If you google for backup + Ubuntu hoping to get results on the specific backup tool called "Backup" you get a generic page explaining various backup solutions and terminology. If the tool has a different name than a generic term like backup it's easier to search for help with that specific tool.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Q.e.d.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am guessing Michael Terry is of French ancestry. I think Canadian, so quite possibly the name has to do with Deja-vu "already seen" and duplicity. A nice play on words. But, in fairness, I agree with the OP.

I use "Back in Time".

The name seems more appropriate to my celtic ancestory, I guess.

;p
    Last edited by mikodo; June 13th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    My point here is that "Backup" is not a useful name for a program that is the Ubuntu default installation. It was called Deja-Dup.
    The same argument applies to the default Ubuntu social networking app "Gwibber" changing it's name recently to "Friends". I disagree with this also.

I guess this is all part of the arrogant Ubuntu play for the Linux desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Keeping It Simple should not also keep-it-konfused (not dissing KDE here, only making a play on words.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    The same argument applies to the default Ubuntu social networking app "Gwibber" changing it's name recently to "Friends". I disagree with this also.

I guess this is all part of the arrogant Ubuntu play for the Linux desktop.
    A curiosity, but all screenshots of Deja-Dup I can find really do seem to be running under Ubuntu, yet it's listed on GNOME Live!. There is not, for instance, a similar page at https://live.gnome.org/Unity . = )

In any case, it's Gnome, not Ubuntu, pushing the trend. gedit is still gedit with a launcher that calls it Text Editor, but Nautilus is Files and Totem is Videos all the way down to their About pages and each just happen to run by a different command. Disk Usage Analyzer is Baobab on its About page, but nowhere else. Rhythmbox is Rhythmbox, but Gnome is switching to a music player called Music.

Deja-Dup does identify itself as such in a welcome screen on first run, but since it's part of System Settings, it's treated as the "Backup" page thereof and has no About page.

I actually think it's less about arrogance (most of the apps at least have unique project names even if the user never sees them) and more about a (forced, certainly) simplicity. Presumably Gnome assumes that KDE users could just as easily be using Amarok and calling it Music and not care which app is really running. It does reflect a Not Built Here tendency, but that's so inherent in Gnome's ethos that I don't think it's evidence of any particular new nastiness.

I much prefer elementary's approach to naming.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 14th, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~