Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Enough with the mobile stuff...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Enough with the mobile stuff...

And Unity is very mouse friendly and intuitive to use, where as windows 8 is not...Unity is simply a dock that is planted on the left side of the screen...i visit mac stores and see windows users ooh and ahh over the mac interface which uses...a dock! And a Global Menu (like ubuntu) and a search that reminds ones of the Unity's "dash"...So i really don't see the big problem with unity that some seem to focus on...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

This isn't that thread, though. HDave said that he preferred Unity to the Windows 7 desktop. He's concerned with Canonical potentially shifting its focus away from the desktop (including desktop Unity.)
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    This isn't that thread, though. HDave said that he preferred Unity to the Windows 7 desktop. He's concerned with Canonical potentially shifting its focus away from the desktop (including desktop Unity.)
    Thanks...i must have missed that
    I don't think he has too much to worry about...i think what will happen is that the mobile focus will improve the desktop ubuntu/unity as well....you know, improvements in reduced cpu usage, power saving, new features, etc...

Beans

@craig10x:
    Don't forget resolution independence, code portability, a standardized development environment, standardized UX across apps, etc. Thinking about a unified platform that covers mobile makes all of these features possible.

@All:
    I'm of the opinion that not having some kind of mobile strategy would have been a gross misstep. I'm ecstatic that Canonical is taking the time to seriously try to make an OS that covers all platforms, despite the wave of detractors. I believe that if Canonical succeeds, these same detractors will eventually hail them as visionaries.

Quite frankly, I use my phone and media center way more than my PC nowadays, but I still need a PC. So having one device/OS that I can use across all of them would be a godsend. It's actually the whole reason I got involved with Ubuntu again.

Granted, I am a bit curious to see how the new wave of Suru-style touch-friendly apps will fair on the PC. I suspect that gesture mice will soon be the thing for Ubuntu, since they are going ahead with this strategy. If so, I also welcome this because I do like using gestures, but would hate to have to have a touch screen for my desktop. To me, that combination will never make sense.
    Last edited by Joshua_Ols; August 7th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

I would like Ubuntu on the phone and tablet, also. But I agree, They should put some more effort into Unity.

Beans

Quick point being in debt has nothing to do with being bankrupt, absolutely nothing technically, practically or otherwise.

I love the idea of a dockable phone and agree that it wont be "good" in the first model, but you need that to get development towards a "good" model

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    Am I the only one that wishes that all the effort Canonical is putting into the phone and tablet projects would just into making Ubuntu desktop completely awesome.

Sorry for the semi-pointless venting here...
    I don't see it as venting. More of you pointing out that in the mobile phone market there's just way too many choices I think. You have the iOS phones and devices that are locked into a walled garden for apps, Android at least isn't locked into a walled app garden unless you want it to be and on most models you can at least root the phones and do what you want with it, and then you have Windows phones by Nokia that are a flop based on lack of sales and now Mozilla coming out with Firefox OS for phones and now Canonical trying to enter into this market as well.

Like you I feel they should remain more focused on what got them started in the first place with Ubuntu desktop and server these last few years. I mean sure some people hate Unity and some like it and if you got a newer machine with a fast cpu, tons of ram and hard drive space to run it, then more power to you I say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure why the reason for all the criticism. If Ubuntu wants to explore new technologies such as mobile -- let them, and more power to them. Finally someone is attempting to update the antiquated X windowing system, and put together a unified SDK -- what are relief. If you don't like the direction Ubuntu is going, try another distribution. Once you try other distributions you tend to get a better feel of what makes Ubuntu Ubuntu, and what just plain makes it another linux distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I'm not sure why the reason for all the criticism. If Ubuntu wants to explore new technologies such as mobile -- let them, and more power to them. Finally someone is attempting to update the antiquated X windowing system, and put together a unified SDK -- what are relief. If you don't like the direction Ubuntu is going, try another distribution. Once you try other distributions you tend to get a better feel of what makes Ubuntu Ubuntu, and what just plain makes it another linux distro.
    It's more concerns or perhaps fear that Canonical may decide to stay focused on mobile after all is said and done. Although I will admit right now if MIR turns out to be faster then the old X windowing system even on older hardware then it would be a bonus at least. Assuming the other *buntu distributions adopt MIR of course.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234