Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No network device detected in ubuntu 12.04.Dual booted with windows 7/net is ok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No network device detected in ubuntu 12.04.Dual booted with windows 7/net is ok

Hang on, we're rounding up the experts for you.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: No network device detected in ubuntu 12.04.Dual booted with windows 7/net is ok

well how about this sir, If I won't be able to update ubuntu cause no internet, I think its better to have 12.04 fixed first then go with the update,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I recommend that you download 13.04 using windows then put the livecd in the drive and choose something else under creating and removing partitions, then remove your ubuntu partitions.

I always reformat my partitions, but do not touch the widows partitions they should say ntfs.

After you have removed the ubuntu partitions you can follow the directions in this link for creating new partitions and installing 13.04.

If you do not remove the ubuntu partitions first then you will end up with 12.04 and 13.04 installed with windows.
    http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-instal...l#.UbyL3hWZiJM

If you have any questions please ask before proceeding.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you, Wild Man! I appreciate your help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidcholo View Post
    arrrgghh,,,if needed, I think it would be hard to uninstall ubuntu cause I installed it in the windows partition!!! arrrgggghhhh!!! I'm scared now,
    Is it a WUBI install (Ubuntu installed on top of Windows as an application when Windows was running)?
    If not sure, please post output of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount
    ..from Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcholo View Post
    well how about this sir, If I won't be able to update ubuntu cause no internet, I think its better to have 12.04 fixed first then go with the update,
    Assuming it is a fresh installation of Ubuntu and you don't have any data or applications to save on it, it would be much better to just download the ISO of 13.04, burn it to a DVD (or make a live USB with it), then do a fresh install on its separate partition. It'll be quicker, safer and easier.

For downloading, I recommend 64-bit via official torrents (to ensure integrity of the downloaded ISO) : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tive-downloads

EDIT:
    I see I'm late to the party (Wild Man ate the cake), but still I'd like to know if it is a WUBI installation. If so, then 'Uninstalling' Ubuntu should be another piece of cake
    Just 'uninstall' it from control panel like you do with any other normal application.
    Last edited by varunendra; June 15th, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Is it a WUBI install (Ubuntu installed on top of Windows as an application when Windows was running)?
    If not sure, please post output of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount
    ..from Ubuntu.

Assuming it is a fresh installation of Ubuntu and you don't have any data or applications to save on it, it would be much better to just download the ISO of 13.04, burn it to a DVD (or make a live USB with it), then do a fresh install on its separate partition. It'll be quicker, safer and easier.

For downloading, I recommend 64-bit via official torrents (to ensure integrity of the downloaded ISO) : www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads

EDIT:
    I see I'm late to the party (Wild Man ate the cake), but still I'd like to know if it is a WUBI installation. If so, then 'Uninstalling' Ubuntu should be another piece of cake
    Just 'uninstall' it from control panel like you do with any other normal application.

here is the output sir,

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc3e2044a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 206848 247351295 123572224 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 247351296 494702591 123675648 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda4 494702592 976771071 241034240 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 15.9 GB, 15936061440 bytes
    98 heads, 34 sectors/track, 9341 cylinders, total 31125120 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 8064 31125119 15558528 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

mount

/dev/loop0 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    /dev/sda2 on /host type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,all ow_other,blksize=4096)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/david/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=david)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/CHOLO type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed ,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)

well sir, will that be ok cause I only have 32 bit,

I just made a discovery, I see a ubuntu folder in my drive cwindows OS), and saw an uninstall-wubi application, thus that mean it is a wubi installation?
    And I can also see an Icon of ubuntu in remove programs(control panel)
    Last edited by davidcholo; June 16th, 2013 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You have used the Windows-based installer.

You can remove 12.04 from the Windows "Add/Remove Programs".

You should burn the 13.04 disc image to a CD or create a bootable USB, and boot your computer from it. When asked, choose "Try Ubuntu". When you get to the desktop, see if your network connection works. Then you can double click the Install Ubuntu icon and follow the on-screen instructions for installing Ubuntu alongside Windows.

Beans

by the way guys, I must tell you something, in the link given by mr. Wild Man, when I installed ubuntu, I was only at step 3, then I think it loaded so long or I restarted it or it rebooted and I booted to windows 7, there in one dialog box, there is choosing sizes, language, and then the username and password, then have to reboot, well I forgot the whole scenario, but I just want to tell you guys cause it might be the cause or something, and maybe that happened because I used universal usb installer, I don't realy know, I'm not an expert at this, ,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You have used the Windows-based installer.

You can remove 12.04 from the Windows "Add/Remove Programs".

You should burn the 13.04 disc image to a CD or create a bootable USB, and boot your computer from it. When asked, choose "Try Ubuntu". When you get to the desktop, see if your network connection works. Then you can double click the Install Ubuntu icon and follow the on-screen instructions for installing Ubuntu alongside Windows.
    Alright sir, I am currently downloading 13.04 now. Now, can you help me sir how to make a properly bootable usb?
    And there is an option in bios what to boot. I use a flash drive. Then there are two names with my flash drive's name in the option. But the other one have EFI something, sorry I really don't remember.

Beans

I'm really sorry if I ask too many questions guys. I just don't wan't to learn it like 1, 2, 3.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast