Beans

Re: Installing on old hardware

OK swap looks like this!

/dev/sda5 partition 382972 27188 -1

free is something like

306 183 122 buffer 6 cahe 88
    87 218
    SWAP 373 20 347

BTW Chrome let me open five tabs (static web pages with images etc.) and switch quickly between each one. I tried a fifth tab and it's dead Jim (lack of memory) I was quite impressed it never did that back in 1995
    Last edited by Mark Scott; June 13th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure whether or not this is still an issue but there have been problems with Ubuntu shipping a buggy development version of Abiword for the last few releases. Reverting to the stable 2.8 version may let you run Abiword without any problems.

I'm not on a Ubuntu machine at the moment but launching Abiword 2.8.6 on my Arch installation just now shows a memory usage of < 10MB with a blank new document rising to around 15MB with a basic 5 page document opened.

I'll try and dig up some information.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; June 13th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Hi

That's not the worlds biggest swap space.

Upping it may help with the crashes but it will be slow when reading and writing memory pages to the hard drive.

It may be easier to create a swap file to test as opposed to enlarging the swap partition.

Do you want to try it and see if it helps ?

As i said earlier, don't forget there are other distributions you can try as well that may use less memory.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Cheesemill's post make me think it could be an Abi Word problem and getting an earlier vesion may be the answer. It has never actually crashed and is perfectly stable it's just when you press a key it takes about 5 seconds to appear on the screen. Without this latency it would be perfectly OK. Version installed 2.9.2

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I'm not sure whether or not this is still an issue but there have been problems with Ubuntu shipping a buggy development version of Abiword for the last few releases. Reverting to the stable 2.8 version may let you run Abiword without any problems.

I'm not on a Ubuntu machine at the moment but launching Abiword 2.8.6 on my Arch installation just now shows a memory usage of < 10MB with a blank new document rising to around 15MB with a basic 5 page document opened.

I'll try and dig up some information.
    Interesting.

This is what i'm seeing in xubuntu 13.04 for abiword (ps is not the most accruate i know, but...)

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % ps aux | grep "[a]bi"
    matthew  20349  2.0  1.0 690776 37252 ?        Sl   18:52   0:03 abiword
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    Does that buggy version mention anything about CPU usage because that was the main problem with abiword on the OP's installation ?

If it does then maybe we can get abiword working for him and increase the swap usage.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

OK I would like to try 2.8.6 as they (Abi Word) say it the latest stable relese on their website.

I am sorry but I need a bit of guideance how to get Lubuntu to do this for me. (I never did get TED).

Can I just request it through Lubuntu or do I have to download it and get installed afterwards ?

Beans
    Distro

Hi

First let's see what version you actually have installed

Code:
    dpkg -l abiword
    Open a terminal and type this command. That is a small L after dpkg.

For your reference, here is abiword on xubuntu 13.04

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % dpkg -l abiword
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                        Version            Architecture       Description
    +++-===========================-==================-==================-============================================================
    ii  abiword                     2.9.2+svn20120603- amd64              efficient, featureful word processor with collaboration
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %

Kind regards

Beans

Sorry was away eating dinner ! It is 2.9.2+svn201 with i386 architecture. (i386 sounds OK to me ?)
    Last edited by Mark Scott; June 13th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

2.9.2+svn201 with i386
    i386 is 32 bit. That is a 32 bit binary and is what you are looking for

It looks like the version you have maybe greater than 2.8 but, as they rebase sometimes, let's wait to see what cheesemill thinks.

Kind regards

Beans

From the abi Word website (my underlining)! don't worry I'll wait for Cheesmill.
    You have a newer version of Abiword!

Your version is newer than the latest stable version of AbiWord, which is v2.8.6. Most likely you are using a development version.
    Your development version is not the latest version available. You are advised to upgrade to AbiWord v2.9.4, which can be downloaded from our development download area.

Also:
    AbiWord: System Requirements

This document describes the system requirements we believe necessary in order for someone on run AbiWord reasonably on his/her computer. This is a rough guide, and you may run just fine on a lower-class system than what we describe, or run poorly on a higher-end system. As always, your mileage may vary. With that said, we hope for this to be useful:
    GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris (2.6, 7,8,9,10), AIX, HP/UX (10.20, 11.0), OSF/1, Tru64:

• GTK+ 2.12 or newer
    • At least 16MB RAM (embedded systems probably won't require more than 8)
    • Any processor that supports any of these operating systems (which is effectively, any processor)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast