Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying a new installation, disc partition errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Trying a new installation, disc partition errors

Quote Originally Posted by RiskingDetention View Post
    So, this is probably nothing but... I noticed the installer for my 64 bit Ubuntu has amd in the name. I'm running an Intel processor. The laptop that this disc worked on has an AMD. Do I have the wrong installer? I couldn't find an intel version...
    Nope ... that's just a holdover from the early days when AMD came out with 64-bit processors for home computers. The name stuck, even though today, Intel has them as well.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Yeah, we saw that today when we started searching. So we're back to the UEFI thing... Even with compatibility turned on it isn't recognizing the disks any differently. Maybe get an older CD reader and try installing it??

Beans

This isn't to try to help you - but as a data point: over the weekend I built a system with an Ivy Bridge Celeron and a "Windows 8 certified" MSI motherboard ( H61M-E33 ) with secure boot, etc. I had Ubuntu 12.04.1 already installed on another (test) drive. I plugged it in, turned it on, and it booted immediately. I didn't have to change a single setting in BIOS.

Of course, you have an Asus motherboard with the Intel Z77 chipset and mine is an Intel H61 chipset, so not exactly the same. I'm just pointing out that Ubuntu can typically boot on some new custom-build hardware - you may have a unique case for your hardware vs. some general problem that everyone must address.

Can you try making a bootable USB drive instead of booting from disc? That would rule out your disc drive entirely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you are getting the accessibility icons - keyboard & tiny person then you are booting in BIOS/legacy/CSM mode not UEFI mode. If you get a grub menu then you are booting in UEFI mode.

What video card do you have? Or are you just using the Intel video built in?

Then if a partition error is drive correctly plugged in?

Different vendor but z77.
    UEFI, Windows on SSD, Ubuntu on HD ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/10/10...d-ssd-and-hdd/

Whether you install in UEFI or BIOS mode, you should use gpt partitioning and create an efi partition at beginning of the drive.

See also my signature for more UEFI info. A lot is for Windows pre-installed systems that have secure boot set on. Your system should not have that on or may not even have that setting (yet).
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the help guys... I'm using the video card that comes with the motherboard (for now). It's good to hear that others have been able to get this to work, it gives us some hope! oldfred, we read the article and it is pretty specific about putting Ubuntu on the HDD (I'm going to be putting it on the SSD). None the less, I can't get that far anyway . We actually disconnected the SSD to just try and get it to run from the disc but that didn't change anything.

I'm going to try disabling compatibilty mode since it looks like it isn't booting into UEFI. It was originally on auto, maybe that was our problem? We'll read what is in your signature if that doesn't work. Thanks again for all of your help, I can't wait to get my new system running!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not have UEFI, but was going to build a new system last summer so started following the new UEFI issues. I configured my SSD for UEFI (and BIOS). An install to SSD should not be any different than an install to a hard drive. You do want to have some settings different to make sure trim is working and make best use of SSD.
    I still hope to build new system soon.

I have two / (root) partitions on my 64GB SSD and all my data in data partitions on my hard drive.

Model: ATA SSD G2 series 64 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sde: 60.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 316MB 315MB fat32 boot
    2 316MB 317MB 1049kB bios_grub
    3 317MB 30.2GB 29.9GB ext4 Precise
    4 30.2GB 60.0GB 29.9GB ext4 Quantal

Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Okay, progress! Well, kind of. So turning off compatibility mode got us the grub menu (or whatever that is) and the menu works (before we were having to hit alt+f1 right at the right time to get it to display). The memory test feature is gone. When I try and use any of the 3 options (use it, install it, check disc) I get the following:

error: couldn't read file.
    Press any key to continue...

(whether I hit another key or not, it then goes to)

[ 0.<numbers>] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    [ 0.<numbers>] Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Tainted: G W 3.5.0-23-generic #35~precise1-Ubuntu
    [ 0.<numbers>] Call Trace:
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] panic<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] mount_block_root<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] mount_root<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] prepare_namespace<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] kernel_init<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] kernel_thread_helper<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] ? do_basic_setup<numbers>
    [ 0.<numbers>] [ 0.<numbers>] ?gs_change<numbers>

Thanks again!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That seems like an issues with installer or back to not loading into RAM memory.

Does UEFI/BIOS report RAM ok and same size? And does it see hard drives?

All the numbers are just timestamps of the process as it loads drivers and configures itself.

Beans

Ram reports correct sizes. It doesn't see the hard drive as bootable when I have compatibility mode enabled, only the CD. The hard drive has nothing on it (not even formatted). I don't think it's related because
    1) I get the same thing when I remove the hard drive and
    2) I get it no matter what I try and do (like run Ubuntu from the LiveCD).

Thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You say UEFI/BIOS does not see drive as bootable, but does it see drive? Only hardware UEFI or BIOS report to system are available for system to use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast