Thread: Just ran DSL from a bootable 256MB USB drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just ran DSL from a bootable 256MB USB drive.

I downloaded Damnsmall Linux(about 50MB total) and installed it using UNetbootin onto a 256MB USB drive that I had and it actually worked. If I would have known how to config my Interweb connection I'm sure I could have gotten on and surffed the web. Kind of takes me back to the "good" ol' days of Win98 and very limited resources, LOL. Anyway, just wanted to share that because I thought it was kind of cool.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Just ran DSL from a bootable 256MB USB drive.

I have DSL installed on a couple of old computers. It gives them a new purpose. Check out slitaz and tinycore.

I used DSL as an embedded OS to run a program called tramtracker. It was based on gpsdrive (from Dapper Drake repositories). I did the development on Dapper Drake and then moved the binary to the DSL embedded computer and it worked fine. Tramtracker takes the GPS coordinate of a people-mover and gives mp3 announcements based on location around a theme park. It gives different announcements depending on what direction it approaches the next tram stop.

"There are two kinds of people in the world: Those with a rope around their neck, and those that do the hanging."
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Just ran DSL from a bootable 256MB USB drive.

I would have loved to be able to get the WiFi to my computer set up on it but it didn't auto dect my wifi card and I don't know enough about it to insert the info manually. Still, it is kind of cool to actually be able to run a 50MB program from a 256MB USB drive and have it work.
    Kind of makes me wonder if we're not wasting our computer power sometimes if we can do so much with such a little bit. Heck, if I could get the WiFi working it'd be all the Op System my wife would need to play Freecell, look at Facebook and check e-mail. LOL.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"