Thread: Cheapest Way to Use Desktop DVD Drive on Laptop?

Beans

Cheapest Way to Use Desktop DVD Drive on Laptop?

I want to use a sata dvd drive that I just ordered on my netbook for occasional dvd ripping. What is the cheapest way to do so? Don't really need an enclosure since it will just be sitting in a drawer most of the time. External power is a must.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Cheapest Way to Use Desktop DVD Drive on Laptop?

i was looking at options a few weeks ago for the dvd drive i took out of my laptop, these are the 2 cheapest options i found
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171025011009
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290781408231
    i decided optical media is obsolete and i don't need it
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

there is also one on ebay that can be used for laptop IDE , 3.5" ide and sata. ill find a link after while and post it. have to leave soon.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I once bought a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure where the back plate (the bit that has the USB and power port on the outside, and plugs to go straight into the SATA and SATA Power on the hard drive) comes completely out. The back plate still fits onto the back of a desktop 5.25 inch DVD burner, and that's how I had it.

It looks ugly, but it works fine.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.