Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server storage capacity

Beans

Lightbulb Server storage capacity

Hello I have 1 ubuntu server (10.04 lucid) where I installed ISPCONFIG3. Let's call it server A

That server "A" has 20TB storage capacity that I got by a combination of RAID contoller and onboard ports.
    The problem is that server "A" is running out of storage space. And I can't add external usb hard drives or additional hard drives.

I'm thinking of building another server "B" with 20TB storage capacity.
    Now the problem is how to configure server A to use the new 20TB space available on server "B", so I can have a total storage size of 40TB ?
    I have users using server "A" and I don't want them to be affected by the storage limitation issue since they are uploading files daily into serve A.

Can I have somebody help me here ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Server storage capacity

batmanrob;
    A consideration; How long until this additional 20T of storage is also consumed ?
    Why not schedule the down time and convert to LVM (Logical Volume Management) ? Then is no problem at all in the future to add additional storage -on the fly-.

Else; one is looking at formatting, mounting, deciding on what "data" the new storage is to hold, copying, reconfiguring to point to the new partitions, testing, then removing the original data on the original storage. Only you can know what "data" moved would be the least intrusive to your users. Only you can know what reconfiguration will be needed to do this.

we can help in generalities..the specifics are on you

simply said, but is a huge task

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Hi,

If you could add a Network Card to Server A then maybe try using a NAS with iSCSI, The storage space is mounted on Server A but it's actually attached to the Server through a Network rather than SATA/SAS.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    ... add a Network Card to Server A then maybe try using a NAS with iSCSI,
    +1

Create a SAN, so server A can access B using a "private network connection".

If your users are uploading directly to the server, or using a samba share, you may also use NFS to mount B directories on A.

Note that either iSCSI or NFS would be like having another partition, so it would give you access to the whole space but in 2 separate 20TB partitions. In order to agglomerate all space into one pool, take a look at Bashing-om's suggestion (LVM).

Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; June 13th, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another idea that would keep everything on server "A". Do you have any PCIe ports left on the on board that you could use an external SFF-8088 cable to a SAS expander in a separate JBOD disk array in another chassis? Then you could pool the existing storage with the new storage with something like mhddfs or AUFS to present a volume of 40TB total.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

@ rubylaser I do not see you very often ... your skill with servers and extended partitions continue to astound me !

Back in my formative association with the forum I saw a lot of you ... then nothing for a long while...then on occasion;
    It is always great to see you "pop up".

just my thought

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Have you thought about a 16 bay, 20 bay or 24 bay rack mount server RAID case? You can find used ones on ebay built out and ready to use, or buy a new case and build it yourself.

that would solve your storage problem. I have 2 at home now. one is 15 bay with full of 250 gb drives, and a 24 bay box with 6 x 2tb drives and adding drives as needed.

for example:

4U Server Case 20 HotSwap Drive Bays New Norco RPC-4020 $359.99 on ebay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    @ rubylaser I do not see you very often ... your skill with servers and extended partitions continue to astound me !

Back in my formative association with the forum I saw a lot of you ... then nothing for a long while...then on occasion;
    It is always great to see you "pop up".

just my thought

Thanks for the vote of confidence I used have a a lot more free time on my hands. Lately, life and work have had me very busy, so I find very little time to get onto the forums. I do need to make an effort to lurk around here more.

Beans

Hello Rubylaser, I tried to materialized your advice by the attached picture. So the SFF-8088 cable will link the two servers.. From there I can use mhddfs as explained in this post ( http://romanrm.ru/en/mhddfs )...
    Another solution I come across is Glusterfs for high availability storage.. But I'm not quite sure if Glusterfs will automatically increase the storage capacity of server A by adding the storage space available in server B. That way if server A is full, Glusterfs will send the load to the server with available space...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hello Papibe, thanks for your reply
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast