Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truecrypt permissions issue

Beans

Re: Truecrypt permissions issue

^^ Good point. I suppose it all depends what he has in it. I just imagine people encrypting small things like docs and stuff which wouldn't take that long to transfer and the aforementioned method would just be easier.
    If he has a significant amount of files in there, then yes, I would totally recommend your procedure.

Beans

Thanks Varun.

I installed both those packages but unfortunately the HFS+ Truecrypt container with all of its files is still mounting as read-only =(.

I ended up transferring the files over via a FAT32 USB (thanks Cincinnati) & I now have read and write access to them all.

HOWEVER frustratingly I created a new Truecrypt container within which to store said files securely in Ubuntu (I selected FAT file-system during creation) and after I've mounted it if I try and write anything to it it comes up with an error saying that I have read-only access to it?!

Thanks for all your help so far, at least I can access those critical files within Ubuntu now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by arumiat View Post
    HOWEVER frustratingly I created a new Truecrypt container within which to store said files securely in Ubuntu (I selected FAT file-system during creation) and after I've mounted it if I try and write anything to it it comes up with an error saying that I have read-only access to it?!
    Please post the output of mount command again (only the relevant two lines will be enough).

Also, make sure the mount option is not set to "read-only" itself in TrueCrypt as shown in the attached image.
    Last edited by varunendra; June 18th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Distro

Hi All,

This problem goes beyond the importing of Truecrypt volumes from a Macintosh. I've been having problems with permissions on Truecrypt volumes' contents for years, and have tried various workarounds. Basically, the problem started after I switched from Windows to Ubuntu back in 2006, and has followed me onto every computer I use. The issue seems to be that the Linux version of Truecrypt insists on assigning ownership of files only to some other random user, not to the main user account in which I use Truecrypt. I think I read something on the Truecrypt site earlier explaining that in Linux, you're supposed to only be using Truecypt as root user ("for sercurity purposes") -- which makes absolutely no sense. Perhaps the designer of Truecrypt just doesn't use or understand Linux?

I've tried gksu nautilus to reassign ownership of files and folders, which used to work. Now that seems to work when I'm doing it, but when I go back to my normal file browser window, I see that that the permissions didn't really change. I'm using ext4 formatting.

Now I tried creating a new TC volume, to see if I can replace the old one -- but as it turns out, I don't have permission to write to my newly-created replacement file either. Since reinstalling my computer in May I was free of these problems, but now they just returned today, and none of my old workarounds help any more.

I've been struggling with this problem off and on for years -- there must be some solution to this problem. This is so frustrating. All I want is a way to protect my privacy.
    - Pangolin 12.04 on 2012 ZaReason, 460GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 3 GHz dual processor -
    - Maverick Meerkat & Windows XP on 2006 Gateway, 186GB HD, 1GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor -
    - Lucid Lynx on 2003 Sony Vaio laptop, 30GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1.8GHz processor -

Beans
    Distro

...okay, I just ran the Ubuntu updates for today, started up Truecrypt again, and now it's working fine. I don't understand what happened.
    - Pangolin 12.04 on 2012 ZaReason, 460GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 3 GHz dual processor -
    - Maverick Meerkat & Windows XP on 2006 Gateway, 186GB HD, 1GB RAM, 2.1GHz processor -
    - Lucid Lynx on 2003 Sony Vaio laptop, 30GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1.8GHz processor -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12