Thread: Works out of the box mono laser printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Works out of the box mono laser printer

I am after a new Mono laser printer for home use. I shall not be printing much, so it does not have to be super cheap to run, nor fast. Having gone thru hair pulling tantrums tring to get a Canon inkjet to work with Ubuntu I have decided to switch to a basic mono laser printer, such as a Samsung ML-2165. I have looked through the printer compatability wiki but it is out of date and most of the printers listed are now no longer sold. Can anybody recomend a basic 'works out of the box' or at least easy to set up mono laser printer? I run 12.04 LTS 32 bit OS.

Beans

Re: Works out of the box mono laser printer

Brother has a good reputation. You can browse their offerings at NewEgg and search the reviews for "linux". I've never had a problem with an HP printer, either, including both old Laserjets and newer ink-jet machines.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, I shall have a look at the brother range. Their toner looks cheaper than other brands too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just bought a Brother HL 2130 from argos £59-99. Plugged it in, found the make and model when the computer looked for drivers, installed them and it works! . Hopefully I can look forward to some basic trouble free printing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well that didn't last long . Now it only prints the top third of a page after waiting a minute, then 4-5 minutes later the bottom 2 thirds of the document. I shall put up a new thread asking for help. I have now got the right hump.