Thread: Setting up my own dynamic IP forwarding service - alternative to DynDns

Threaded View

Beans

Setting up my own dynamic IP forwarding service - alternative to DynDns

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new here, so please give me some credit in advance.

Here is my scenario:

I have rented a small virtual server from one of these hosting companies running ubuntu server precise. This server has a static IP address and serves some web pages on different domains with the apache server. As far as good.

In addition I have some local resources connected to the internet via an ordinary ISP with dynamic IP allocation. To be more specific, these resources are distributed over several locations and so I have several dynamic IPs to manage. Until now, I took the easy way using DynDNS.org. Unfortunately they changed the policy for the free service once again demanding manual login on their website every 30 days, which is a real pain in my situation. Of course I can simply migrate to another service, but on my opinion this is not a clean solution.

First of all I don't want to send my IP address to any company anymore. You all read the news about the PRISM affair and I don't think, it makes any sense to fight against data preservation here in Europe and willingly distributing the IP addresses to the NSA... But on the other hand there is a technical issue, too. Using these services requires setting up an account for each location and so it is not possible to manage all of my resources with one DNS address. Furthermore, I would strongly prefer to union these resources under one of my own domain names, running my websites. This would be a far more clean solution than hopping from one of this free domain forwarders and use one of the silly domains they provide.

So how can I manage this? Is there a tutorial implementing my scenario? I found only the other way round.

Thanks for your advice.

garbage
    Last edited by lisati; June 12th, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: A pain in the donkey?