Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Updates

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Updates

It's been about a month since I did any updates to my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS OS. This morning when I went to check for updates, there were about 50 available. I was kind of surprised to see that seeing as this version was only supported until April 2013.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why I was able to update my OS? I was kind of expecting a prompt to update to the next LTS.

Thank you

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Updates

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Support for 10.04 on the desktop ran out in April but it's still supported on servers for another 2 years.

Because both versions use the same repositories the packages that you get on a server install are still being updated, this also includes some things that you would have installed on a desktop as well like the command line tools. It's these packages that you are still getting updates for. This doesn't mean you should keep using 10.04 on the desktop for another 2 years though as none of the desktop packages will be getting security updates or bug fixes any more.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The server release is still supported, so you get ipdates for the packages also included in the server edition. I believe 10.04 had the update manager where you can click "settings" and then select "inform me when a ner version of Ubuntu is available: (never/LTS only/any version)". It's probably set to never, or it would have informed you of a possible upgrade over a year ago.