Thread: flashing/jumping screen after install.

Beans

flashing/jumping screen after install.

hello all.

just installed ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop. HP Compaq CQ60 series. Nvidia Ge8200 G graphics card. The installation went ok but even after rebooting several times the screen still keeps jumping and flashing. Looks like I need a different driver. Please can someone advise how to do this please.

Also wireless card not recognised. tried dongle, same result. but will open another thread for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: flashing/jumping screen after install.

Hi arranskye.

Could you post the output of these commands?
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

lsmod | grep -E '(nvidia|nou)'

apt-cache policy nvidia-current

xrandr

xvidtune -show
    Regards.

Beans

margaret@laptopvista:~$ lspci -nnk | iA2 vga
    No command 'iA2' found, did you mean:
    Command 'if2' from package 'ctsim' (universe)
    iA2: command not found
    margaret@laptopvista:~$ lsmod | grep -E '(nvidia |nou)'
    nouveau 823577 3
    ttm 75534 1 nouveau
    drm_kms_helper 45271 1 nouveau
    drm 230463 5 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    i2c_algo_bit 13197 1 nouveau
    mxm_wmi 12859 1 nouveau
    video 18847 1 nouveau
    wmi 18590 3 hp_wmi,nouveau,mxm_wmi
    margaret@laptopvista:~$ apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    nvidia-current:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 304.88-0ubuntu0.1
    Version table:
    304.88-0ubuntu0.1 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/restricted i386 Packages
    500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security/restricted i386 Packages
    304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/restricted i386 Packages
    margaret@laptopvista:~$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS-1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
    1366x768 60.0*+
    1024x768 59.9
    800x600 59.9
    640x480 59.4
    720x400 59.6
    640x400 60.0
    640x350 59.8
    VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    margaret@laptopvista:~$ xvidtune -show
    "1366x768" 69.31 1366 1382 1416 1466 768 770 776 788 -hsync -vsync

margaret@laptopvista:~$

Thanks papibe screen getting worse. fragmenting, flashing, breaking up etc. and sound and wireless being effected too
    sound & wifi breaking up. also could not close down rythme box. thank you regards margaret

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.

Could you run this again? Make sure to copy exactly the syntax:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
    Regards.

Beans

sorry papibe here it is: margaret@laptopvista:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200M G] [10de:0845] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:360a]
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau

thanks

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.

Since you have an Nvidia card, installing the proprietary driver may provide better support.

Open a terminal, and run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Then restart your machine.

The worst case scenario is that you boot into a black screen. Avoid pressing your power button to restart or power down your machine. Instead, you can get into a text-mode console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2). You can login there using your regular user. There you can restart by running:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    and turn it off by running:
    Code:
    sudo poweroff
    In any case, booting into a black screen using the Nvidia driver may indicate that your card does not support the kernel mode. To allow compatibility set the flag 'nomodeset' on the grub options.

While in text mode, edit this file:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/defualt/grub
    Look for a like that looks like this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Add nomodeset to it so it looks like this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    Save the file, and reboot.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Hiya papibe.

Checked the screen resolution (laptop 15") Set at 1024 x768 16.9. changed it to 1024 x 768 4.3 and it initially appeared to stablise but after using it for a few seconds it went bananas. flashing badly when trying to open icons and trying to access the internet produced a really fragmented screen like a digital TV losing signal. Tried setting back to 16.9 but no good.Rebooted to find text appearing with missings fonts and little brown boxes instead of letters, fragmented flashing screen jumping around. Worst of all lost wifi & sound. Reset to 4.3 rebooted and message appeared "System Problem Detected" (reported problem) Shut down. Returned this morning, fired up and screen almost stable but no sound or wifi. Then a text saying updates required. said it would take 2 hours to download. left it, returned 1/2 hour later and laptop had shut down. Rebooted, screen almost stable but showed an error: "Problem with the system," no details, so took the opportunity to open the terminal and input the text .
    [HTML]
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current This is as far as i got. as immediately after displaying the output the screen froze.

Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'
    Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security/main nvidia-settings i386 304.88-0ubuntu0.2
    Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu1.1_all.deb Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/fakeroot/fakeroot_1.18.4-2_i386.deb Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-current_304.88-0ubuntu0.1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/x-kit/python-xkit_0.5.0_all.deb Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/screen-resolution-extra/screen-resolution-extra_0.15_all.deb Could not resolve 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com'
    Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nvidia-settings/nvidia-settings_304.88-0ubuntu0.2_i386.deb Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

looks like ubuntu cant find nvidia. had to reboot 6/7 times to get this output and in the course of this, one terminal message. "said unable to locate nvidia."

On one another "terminal" try, following the incomplete updates, the output included: 6 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 upgrade, 304 not fully installed. Complete page froze before I could copy.

Screen kept freezing so could not use mouse to copy, or close terminal. Input sudo nvidia-xconfig = output: assuming driver cache failed/asking for cache data failed. Ctrl alt F1/F2 did not work but terminal responded to reboot and poweroff.
    Tried to run from disks 2 x 12.10 ubuntu, but much the same results. instability, icons slow to open, screen freezing no sound or wifi.

looks like some options: try to get compatible version of nvidia : --fix missing upgrade, or possibly the best option wipe disk and start again with 13.04. What would you advise please. Thanks

Beans

Hi Dont know if this is relevant but wiping windows vista off this machine and replacing it with XP pro has frequently produced wifi & sound problems.

When XP was installed the device manager showed 2 audio components with no drivers. Windows couldnt supply the drivers and neither could Driver Solutions. Eventually after many weeks of work I discovered that a component was installed in the (vista) laptop in anticipation of HDMI and it could only be mounted off a universal audio architecture platform which was not included in the XP disk.The other driver was a conxent HD Audio 221 but further confusion and difficulty arose until I discovered that in order in to install the conxent driver I had to disable the the HDMI component. Anyway I eventually got the sound working normally but the wifi has always been a bit intermittent and I now suspect that its due to the vista/XP conflict. It works and then stops for no apparent reason.

Why is it that we can run 20 + different distro/OS on lots of machines and windows cannot make 2 of their own OS run with compatibility on one machine. just stupid.

Dont know if this would effect how ubuntu "sees" the driver compatibility and its causing confusion.??

I can wipe XP & reinstall Vista or just wipe windows altogether however your help and instructions are all very very helpful and part of my learning curve. Thanks