Thread: Minimal install for VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Minimal install for VM

Hi,

I'm looking to build a micro-minimal install (command line only) of some flavor of Ubuntu/Debian based distro for VM use.

The idea is to have it less than 200MB for the .vdi VirtualBox Disk Image. All it would do is run Netatalk to share a folder out to the network using a VM, but the Home Directory and a named share on the host machine's hard drive.

So no desktop environment, utilities, nothing, except a text editor, sudo apt-get support (have to get four libraries from repositories, namely libdb-dev, libssl-dev, libavahi-client-dev and libcups2-dev, which will obviously have some dependencies) and compile support for Netatalk 2.1.6.

What is the basic path I go for this project? I already got Netatalk to work with 10.04LTS and Netatalk 2.1.6 is required to work with AFP over AppleTalk which is what I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Minimal install for VM

Install from the Server CD. When you reach the first screen after selecting your language hit F4 and select the option 'Install a minimal virtual machine' before continuing with the installation.

You're not going to get anywhere near 200MB disk space with this method, I did some testing a while back (here) and this method will give you the following result...

Ubuntu Server 12.04 Minimal VM Installation
    Used RAM - 16MB
    Used HD - 622MB
    # of packages - 203
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was planning on using an older release like 10.04LTS ____________ because my CPU doesn't support PAE. I ran 12.04LTS in a VM with virtual PAE and the results were not amusing.

Will that still work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could use the 12.04 non-PAE mini CD to do your installation although you end up with a much larger installation than using the server CD (an extra 170 packages and 0.5GB of drive space).

Using the 10.04 server CD to install a minimal VM is another option, but I can't comment on the drive space or installed packages as I haven't tested with the 10.04 release.
    Cheesemill