Thread: Vanishing mp3s

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Vanishing mp3s

Hello!

I like to back up my music cds to my 'Music' directory for playing directly from my computer. This has always worked fine until suddenly--all the 'folders' are empty. As if I'd shift-deleted every song individually, leaving only the empty 'folders'. Nothing in Trash, nothing in root Trash.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

mike

p.s. I've just checked my most recent full backup and the files are missing there, too--so, apparently, this has been going on for a while. My external hard drive seems unaffected.
    Last edited by mlnease; June 11th, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: p.s.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Vanishing mp3s

Hi mlnease.

Have you run any terminal commands recently? Something that might have moved/deleted files around?

Try looking for any mp3 by running:
    Code:
    find ~ -iname '*.mp3'
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi mlnease.

Have you run any terminal commands recently? Something that might have moved/deleted files around?

Try looking for any mp3 by running:
    Code:
    find ~ -iname '*.mp3'
    Regards.
    Thanks for the quick response and for the code. I ran it but the vanished files didn't reappear--and no, though I use the terminal when I can, my command line skills are elementary at best--after all these years, I'm still pretty much a gui user.

Thanks again for your interest.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

May be the backup process is not backing properly your files.

Do you miss any other files? If so, are they missed on the back too?

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    May be the backup process is not backing properly your files.

Do you miss any other files? If so, are they missed on the back too?

Regards.
    Thanks again but no, the backup is otherwise complete, as are my other files on the original hard drive. Just empty 'folders'--with their original filenames--empty of files.

p.s. Empty, that is, of the--exclusively--mp3 files they originally contained.
    Last edited by mlnease; June 11th, 2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: p.s.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've been using different music players lately, and, depending on their settings, they may try to help you organize your collection in one way or another. That's my first question: which music player do you use, and have you checked the "library" settings on it?

The next thing I've come across recently were problems with filenames--especially those that have slashes in them (not a good idea). I've been using detox to clean up my file names, as gmusicbrowser (the player I use) was having trouble managing the library folders. After some work getting things cleaned up a bit, a LOT of empty folders were left behind.

Anyway, just a couple ideas that may help figure out the cause. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lucid has reached end of life, although that didn't cause your problem. However, it makes it more difficult to help you. Do you have a program called "disk utility" or something along those lines? If you point it at your hard drive, it should be able to report on the "health" of the drive, using the SMART data.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Lucid has reached end of life, although that didn't cause your problem. However, it makes it more difficult to help you. Do you have a program called "disk utility" or something along those lines? If you point it at your hard drive, it should be able to report on the "health" of the drive, using the SMART data.
    Thanks for the response, GIT (no offense),

First, yeah, I understand about Lucid (sob). I'll have to migrate soon. Meanwhile, I do have gnome-disk-utility
    palimpsest (from the gnome-disk-utility project) is a tool to manage disk
    drives and media:

* Format and partition drives.
    * Mount and unmount partitions.
    * Query S.M.A.R.T. attributes.

It utilizes udisks.
    I haven't yet used it but I will, as you suggest, 'point it at my hard drive', see what happens and post the results here.

Thanks again for your interest.

p.s. I discovered another vanished file today, this one a .avi. Curiouser and curiouser...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    All righty then, done. Thanks for telling me about Palimpsest (gnome-disk-utility)--very nifty! It seems to think my hard drive is fine. Any other thoughts? Anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images