Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Vanishing mp3s

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Vanishing mp3s

    Hello!

    I like to back up my music cds to my 'Music' directory for playing directly from my computer. This has always worked fine until suddenly--all the 'folders' are empty. As if I'd shift-deleted every song individually, leaving only the empty 'folders'. Nothing in Trash, nothing in root Trash.

    Any advice?

    Thanks in advance.

    mike

    p.s. I've just checked my most recent full backup and the files are missing there, too--so, apparently, this has been going on for a while. My external hard drive seems unaffected.
    Last edited by mlnease; June 11th, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: p.s.
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Beans
    6,697
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Hi mlnease.

    Have you run any terminal commands recently? Something that might have moved/deleted files around?

    Try looking for any mp3 by running:
    Code:
    find ~ -iname '*.mp3'
    Regards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi mlnease.

    Have you run any terminal commands recently? Something that might have moved/deleted files around?

    Try looking for any mp3 by running:
    Code:
    find ~ -iname '*.mp3'
    Regards.
    Thanks for the quick response and for the code. I ran it but the vanished files didn't reappear--and no, though I use the terminal when I can, my command line skills are elementary at best--after all these years, I'm still pretty much a gui user.

    Thanks again for your interest.
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Beans
    6,697
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    May be the backup process is not backing properly your files.

    Do you miss any other files? If so, are they missed on the back too?

    Regards.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    May be the backup process is not backing properly your files.

    Do you miss any other files? If so, are they missed on the back too?

    Regards.
    Thanks again but no, the backup is otherwise complete, as are my other files on the original hard drive. Just empty 'folders'--with their original filenames--empty of files.

    p.s. Empty, that is, of the--exclusively--mp3 files they originally contained.
    Last edited by mlnease; June 11th, 2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: p.s.
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    I've been using different music players lately, and, depending on their settings, they may try to help you organize your collection in one way or another. That's my first question: which music player do you use, and have you checked the "library" settings on it?

    The next thing I've come across recently were problems with filenames--especially those that have slashes in them (not a good idea). I've been using detox to clean up my file names, as gmusicbrowser (the player I use) was having trouble managing the library folders. After some work getting things cleaned up a bit, a LOT of empty folders were left behind.

    Anyway, just a couple ideas that may help figure out the cause. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Quote Originally Posted by gnuman View Post
    I've been using different music players lately, and, depending on their settings, they may try to help you organize your collection in one way or another. That's my first question: which music player do you use, and have you checked the "library" settings on it?

    The next thing I've come across recently were problems with filenames--especially those that have slashes in them (not a good idea). I've been using detox to clean up my file names, as gmusicbrowser (the player I use) was having trouble managing the library folders. After some work getting things cleaned up a bit, a LOT of empty folders were left behind.

    Anyway, just a couple ideas that may help figure out the cause. Good luck!
    Hello, Gnuman!

    Thanks for the response, my apologies for the delay. Actually I usually just use Movie Player (Lucid's default?) for simplicity's sake. I've dabbled a bit in Rhythmbox--didn't care much for it--and VLC. However none of them shows any of the missing files in its 'library'. None of the filenames included slashes but maybe I'll have a look at 'detox' just the same--thanks for the advice.
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    4,262
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Lucid has reached end of life, although that didn't cause your problem. However, it makes it more difficult to help you. Do you have a program called "disk utility" or something along those lines? If you point it at your hard drive, it should be able to report on the "health" of the drive, using the SMART data.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Lucid has reached end of life, although that didn't cause your problem. However, it makes it more difficult to help you. Do you have a program called "disk utility" or something along those lines? If you point it at your hard drive, it should be able to report on the "health" of the drive, using the SMART data.
    Thanks for the response, GIT (no offense),

    First, yeah, I understand about Lucid (sob). I'll have to migrate soon. Meanwhile, I do have gnome-disk-utility
    palimpsest (from the gnome-disk-utility project) is a tool to manage disk
    drives and media:

    * Format and partition drives.
    * Mount and unmount partitions.
    * Query S.M.A.R.T. attributes.

    It utilizes udisks.
    I haven't yet used it but I will, as you suggest, 'point it at my hard drive', see what happens and post the results here.

    Thanks again for your interest.

    p.s. I discovered another vanished file today, this one a .avi. Curiouser and curiouser...
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    47.45°N 123.1°W Elev. 0
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Vanishing mp3s

    Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Lucid has reached end of life, although that didn't cause your problem. However, it makes it more difficult to help you. Do you have a program called "disk utility" or something along those lines? If you point it at your hard drive, it should be able to report on the "health" of the drive, using the SMART data.
    All righty then, done. Thanks for telling me about Palimpsest (gnome-disk-utility)--very nifty! It seems to think my hard drive is fine. Any other thoughts? Anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dell Optiplex GX745
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13 Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •