Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security & Privacy Install

Beans

Re: Security & Privacy Install

KushtyKushty,
    I would suggest that Ghostery is not to be installed due to their practice of passing browsing habits on to advertisers http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/31/gh...e-ad-industry/ https://www.ghostery.com/ but as in all things do your own research and thinking.

A simple idea would be to use FireFox in private browsing mode that ensuring that your history is not recorded on your machine.

Also remember that your IPS may well keep records of sites visited and that many visits to a VPN while may being legal may by some act as a flag to suspect browsing habits.

keep asking questions and carefully evaluate the answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

I would suggest that Ghostery is not to be installed due to their practice of passing browsing habits on to advertisers http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/31/gh...e-ad-industry/ https://www.ghostery.com/ but as in all things do your own research and thinking.
    Interesting although incorrect according to their privacy policy.

I thought you have to opt into "Ghost Rank" that and it was not enabled by default. It is disabled by default in my chromium, firefox browsers.

I don't tend to take sample of 1 either way (one blog entry or one privacy policy) so i won't research it on the internet, i'll actually look at my traffic and see if there's any merit in it.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can use Off The Record for IM and VOIP. You'll also want to change some Firefox and Tor settings. For Tor, I suggest downloading the Tor Browser bundle. You'll want to turn off @font-face (if fonts are allowed, you can be identified by what fonts you have installed). HTTPS-Everywhere or NoScript (I forgot which) has an option to do this. You'll also want to get HTTPS-Everywhere and NoScript (and turn off @font-face) in default Firefox. You'll want to turn off geolocation in Firefox (this is off by default in Tor, but not in Firefox). To do this, type about:config in the address bar and set 'geo.enabled' to false. In both browsers you'll want to set 'network.http.use-cache' to false. In default Firefox you'll want to set a secure search engine such as StartPage as default (already set up in Tor browser). To set Startpage as the default browser, to to about:config and set the value of 'keyword.URL' to 'https://www.startpage.com/do/search/?q='. You can also get an add-on to use Startpage in the search engine bar on the Startpage website. Avoid using other search engines, especially google. A useful, though not necessary, add-on is the Web Of Trust add-on (I have it installed in default Firefox, but not in Tor browser). Enable NoScript in Tor browser of course--it's not enabled by default. In both browsers, in settings->privacy, select 'use custom settings for history' (Tor's default 'never remember history' allows cookies, so don't leave it at that) then check 'always use private browsing mode' and disable all cookies, even first party (make exceptions for the sites you need cookies for). Also go through all the Firefox settings and change anything that looks insecure, for example, 'block reported web forgeries' and 'tell sites I do not want to be tracked' (not very useful, but doesn't do any harm). Go through add-on settings too. You can confirm that Tor's settings are secure with www.ip-check.info. Also, if someone tells you to do './start-tor-browser --debug', don't--it logs stuff.

With browser stuff out of the way, I would recommend getting rid of 12.04 and getting 13.04 because it gives you an option to encrypt the entire OS. I believe 12.04 only allows you to encrypt the home folder. You can also use TrueCrypt for an extra layer of encryption (or for encrypting files on external devices) for certain files you want to be extra secure. Lastly in the area of browsers, if you want, you can go to about:config and set 'browser.fixup.alternate.enabled' to false--this just disables your browser guessing what you meant if you type something other than a URL into the address bar, which means you'll never end up on a site you didn't try to go to.

Default Ubuntu comes with some tracking software, and some other software depends on the tracking software. To get rid of it all while keeping Ubuntu working can be a bit of work--for that reason it could be easier to start with a variant like Lubuntu--but it is doable. The first thing to be concerned about is Zeitgeist, it tracks your activity. You can disable it without uninstalling it with the program 'activity-log-manager'. If you uninstall Zeitgeist and related packages, Nautilus (the default file manager) will no longer run, so you would have to uninstall Nautilus and replace it with something like pcmanfm. (if you want to do this and your desktop icons and wallpaper disappear, send me a PM, I can give you a walkthrough for a fix that should work) You can also uninstall 'whoopsie' which is error-reporting software that could potentially compromise privacy. And then there's geolocation software, but again, some other software relies on some of the geo software. To find the geo software, enter 'dpkg -l | grep geo' in the terminal and you'll see all software you have installed that contains geo in the name. Make sure to look up what it is before removing it. You can do the same command but replace 'geo' with something else like 'zeitgeist' to see files with another keyword. You may also want to remove all software relating to Ubuntu One. If you use gedit (you can replace it with leafpad if you prefer) you can disable 'backup files' in preferences, otherwise it will create a duplicate when you save a file, and the duplicate file is hidden by default. You may also want to install dconf-tools (contains dconf-editor) and use dconf-editor to make some additional changes, specifically disabling geoip in com->ubuntu and disabling data usage storage in com->canonical->indicator->appmenu->hud. Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what it does, but I read somewhere that it's a good idea to add a line with 'exit 0' at the beginning of the file /etc/default/ntpdate to 'disable NTP call home requests on boot'.

Of course, even with all of that Ubuntu isn't that secure. Much better than Windows, but if you want real security you'll need to use a different OS like TAILS (much slower than Ubuntu but very secure).

If you want any clarification on anything, feel free to send me a PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
    Code:
    $ sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
    Just tried that and this is what I got.
    Code:
    *****@*****:~$ sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
    sudo: apparmor-enforce: command not found
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Just tried that and this is what I got.
    Code:
    *****@*****:~$ sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
    sudo: apparmor-enforce: command not found
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
    Code:
    sudo aa-enforce ...
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; June 14th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

See this image for alternative software or applications:
    scaled_full_e37911c20a61b117fc43.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
    Code:
    sudo aa-enforce ...
    Kind regards
    Thanx!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anybody else using DoNotTrackMe in Firefox?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Anybody else using DoNotTrackMe in Firefox?
    I think everyone does, but I don't think it does much good, since Ghostery is still blocking a lot of sites.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Well you could start by just using a different provider like DuckDuckGo instead of Google.

Please don't use Tor; leave it for the political activists in authoritarian countries who really need it.
    WE may just be this in our own country now, "Please don't use Tor; leave it for the political activists in authoritarian countries who really need it" Yikes! (But, you make a very good point and leave it for those ten steps further into tyranny than we.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12