Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security & Privacy Install

Beans

Security & Privacy Install

Hi guys,

I have recently installed 12.04 on a fresh laptop and want to make it as secure and as privacy orientated as possible. I am not after tools to crack passwords and sniff networks, i just want to ensure im anonymous to browse the web.

I have listed below what I plan to install to make this successful, i was hoping someone here could give me some feedback on the list, recommend any better services or even add some. Remember, all I want is to stay anonymous online and ensure my laptop is as secure as possible to stop anyone tracking/tracing me.

• UBUNTU 12.04 LTS DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM
    • VPN SERVICE
    • TOR (WILL THIS BE NEEDED WITH VPN?)
    • FIREFOX + ADBLOCK + NOSCRIPTS
    • SNORT – NETWORK INTRUSION DETECTION
    • FIREWALL CONFIGURATION 'GUFW'
    • CLAMAV ANTIVIRUS
    Last edited by howefield; June 11th, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: removed link.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Security & Privacy Install

The VPN might not be necessary. Which services, may I ask, might you consider tunnelling over the VPN?

Tor runs on its own without the need of a VPN. It's a SOCKS proxy. The best way to use it to browse the web is to download the Tor Browser Bundle and use that if you can. That will included noscript. It will also be more 'standardized' reducing the likelihood of successful tracking through browser fingerprinting.

Firefox is not needed if you have the Tor Browser Bundle and plan on running everything through Tor. If not, then NoScript is good to have. NoScript will block most of the offensive ads, the others you might let through by not installing adblock. It rewards them for making ads with less offensive technologies. You might want a VM like VirtualBox to open non-HTML pages like PDFs in so the network can be off when viewing the document. Otherwise it is technically possible for them to compromise your anonymity.

Snort won't be much good on a desktop AFAIK. You won't have any outward facing services but you will be scanned all the time anyway. GUFW will take care of that.

GUFW will give you basic filtering which should be enough for a desktop. There's not much more in the way of locking the machine down that can be done without getting severely in the way. On an unchanging production server things are different.

ClamAV is only needed if you are doing a lot of file serving or file exchange with Windows users in binary formats. It might be fun to play with, but is not essential.

Beans

Thanks for the comments.

I realized I made a mistake on my first post, this is a laptop not a desktop. My bad.

The reason for using a private VPN is due to Tor being really slow, I was hoping I could use a VPN which is encrypted and keeps no logs whilst still running standard Firefox ect, same results just a faster browser (<< Prob wrong). I am new to the whole Privacy thing but with recent events in the news and more and more leaks regarding government snooping and data collection (e.g. Google).

I want to ensure i can browse the internet anonymously with noone tracing it back to me or collecting every single thing I do, enough is enough, what I do on MY computer is MY business, not the governments.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well you could start by just using a different provider like DuckDuckGo instead of Google.

Please don't use Tor; leave it for the political activists in authoritarian countries who really need it.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I have stopped using Google for searches, but there is over 10 other ways they collect information from you, everything from you access a website using Google Analytics to having adwords to installing cookies, this is the kind of stuff i want to stop.

Would FireFox + AdBlock + NoScripts stop this? Or is Googles code impossible to hide from unless behind some kind of proxy? Anyways,

I don't want to use Tor, which is why i suggested using a VPN instead, i was hoping being behind a VPN witch connects several users to a single IP, i would be able to stay somewhat, more private.
    Last edited by oldos2er; June 13th, 2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Please watch your language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread moved to Security Discussions.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Well you could start by just using a different provider like DuckDuckGo instead of Google.

Please don't use Tor; leave it for the political activists in authoritarian countries who really need it.
    DDG is a good start for search engines. So is ixquick or startpage.

One way to help Tor would be to run a relay. AFAIK, that can be done without a fixed IP number. If you have a static IP number then you could also consider running a bridge relay. The are standing requests for that kind of help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

I would also add Ghostery to the list of plugins.

Browser fingerprinting is also an interesting topic..

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

You may want to randomise your user agent string

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/

As has been stated, don't use tor.

Here is a list of some common plugins.

http://www.digitizd.com/2012/07/27/1...mous-browsing/

I also use the WOT (web of trust) plugin.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; June 13th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Hi. I suggest a BetterPrivacy addon for Firefox and maybe HTTPS-Everywhere. Of course the most important thing: enable AppArmor profile for Firefox, because it is disabled by default. It is very important.

Code:
    $ sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
    Kushty, you can also install apparmor-profiles package, which contains additional profiles for various applications. Oh, one more thing: mounting an ext3, ext4 etc. partitions with nosuid, nodev, noexec options. Please remember, that placing /tmp in noexec mode can prevent certain scripts from executing properly. Example:

Code:
    /dev/sda3 /tmp noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
    /dev/sda4 /var noatime,nodev
    /dev/sda6 /home noatime,nodev,nosuid
    And many, many more.

Beans
    Distro

+1 for HTTPS Everywhere

Keep in mind though that not all sites support HTTPS. The Forums is one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast