Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    10

    Question Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Hi,


    I have separate 1TB drive that I used to install all 3.
    I've tried first in this order, Wheezy, Ubuntu & Mint but first issue was that after installing Ubuntu it did not show in Grub. I still went ahead and installed Mint, there it showed that
    Ubuntu was already there. Resized one partition and made room for mint after reboot it showed all 3 with grub from Ubuntu?


    I want to start fresh, format and use Gparted live CD and partition about 330GB for 3 different partitions and then install.
    Which order should I use?


    TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,148

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    I think all these distros show respect to each other and include the others into their grub menus.

    So you can select to use the grub menu that you think looks the best. Even after installing, you can boot into one of the distros and re-install the boot-loader to use the grub system of that particular system.

    See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

    After upgrading the kernel in a system, you need to boot into the system that manages grub and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    in order for grub to find it. The alternative is to make custom grub entries according to How to have a custom Grub2 menu that is maintenance free


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    The order does not matter, really.
    You will need only one GRUB from any one Distro. So decide which its going to be and install it last.

    A suggestion on partitions:
    20-25 GB for '/' is plenty

    Consider NOT using a separate /home, instead have a simple ext4 formatted partition to store and save your DATA. Conflicting version of applications, especially in Wheezy and Ubuntu can cause problems if you have shared /home. If you don't create a separate /home partition then your HOME folder will be created in your '/' partition. Later you can either manually mount the DATA partition when you need it or automount it using /etc/fstab at system startup. This way your DATA will be safe and you don't have to worry too much about backups. If you need to re-install or reformat you can do so easily by just wiping out the / partition clean.

    My two cents...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,791
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Consider NOT using a separate /home, instead have a simple ext4 formatted partition to store and save your DATA. Conflicting version of applications, especially in Wheezy and Ubuntu can cause problems if you have shared /home. If you don't create a separate /home partition then your HOME folder will be created in your '/' partition. Later you can either manually mount the DATA partition when you need it or automount it using /etc/fstab at system startup. This way your DATA will be safe and you don't have to worry too much about backups. If you need to re-install or reformat you can do so easily by just wiping out the / partition clean.
    Agreed. If you really want directories like ~/Documents, ~/Desktop, etc. to be unified on the three systems, my suggestion is that you replace them on the three systems with symlinks to ones you create on the Data partition.

    There are hidden files in your home directory that different systems use that will conflict if you share a /home partition. One example, Ubuntu and Mint (and possibly Wheezy) use the same hidden file to set the default DE to boot.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    The order does not matter, really.
    You will need only one GRUB from any one Distro. So decide which its going to be and install it last.

    A suggestion on partitions:
    20-25 GB for '/' is plenty

    Consider NOT using a separate /home, instead have a simple ext4 formatted partition to store and save your DATA. Conflicting version of applications, especially in Wheezy and Ubuntu can cause problems if you have shared /home. If you don't create a separate /home partition then your HOME folder will be created in your '/' partition. Later you can either manually mount the DATA partition when you need it or automount it using /etc/fstab at system startup. This way your DATA will be safe and you don't have to worry too much about backups. If you need to re-install or reformat you can do so easily by just wiping out the / partition clean.

    My two cents...
    Thanks to all who replied!
    I will try to make seperate partition for Data. Would you guys recommend Gpart or ubuntu? I like where I can see whole HD and slide to adjust and create new partitions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,148

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Gparted is included in many linux install iso files, for example the Ubuntu desktop iso, so boot live from it and edit your partitions

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think all these distros show respect to each other and include the others into their grub menus.

    So you can select to use the grub menu that you think looks the best. Even after installing, you can boot into one of the distros and re-install the boot-loader to use the grub system of that particular system.

    See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

    After upgrading the kernel in a system, you need to boot into the system that manages grub and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    in order for grub to find it. The alternative is to make custom grub entries according to How to have a custom Grub2 menu that is maintenance free

    Ok, using Gparted I created 1 Debian, 1 Ubuntu, 1 swap and 1 Data partition.
    Installed Ubuntu first then Debian. While in Ubuntu issued:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    But when computer boots I still get duplicates for Ubuntu and its Debian labeled GRUB ?




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnyBeGood View Post
    Ok, using Gparted I created 1 Debian, 1 Ubuntu, 1 swap and 1 Data partition.
    Installed Ubuntu first then Debian. While in Ubuntu issued:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    But when computer boots I still get duplicates for Ubuntu and its Debian labeled GRUB ?
    Since you installed DEBIAN last, in all likelihood, your GRUB is controlled by DEBIAN and NOT Ubuntu.
    So the Grub should be updated from DEBIAN.

    But if you installd DEBIAN last and did NOT install GRUB then what you did is correct. However from the screenshot it does appear that Debian Grub is in control.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,791
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Last time I had multiple Linux systems installed, Grub was controlled by all the systems. That is, any time a system did an update-grub (sometimes automatically due to updates), Grub was set according to the settings in that system and that system was moved to the top of the list. I was dealing with four variants of Ubuntu, though, and not with Debian. And I see that Debian is still at the top of the OP's list.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Best install order - Wheezy+Ubuntu+Mint?

    Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Last time I had multiple Linux systems installed, Grub was controlled by all the systems. That is, any time a system did an update-grub (sometimes automatically due to updates), Grub was set according to the settings in that system and that system was moved to the top of the list. I was dealing with four variants of Ubuntu, though, and not with Debian. And I see that Debian is still at the top of the OP's list.
    Yes it happens when we have all Ubuntu variants (I am not really sure why though) but not when there is another Distro in the picture.
    However, its not a good idea to have more than ONE Grub. ONE Grub is all that we need.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •