Thread: Can I delete old encrypted home folders?

Beans

Can I delete old encrypted home folders?

Hello,

I've got several old home folders that have been encrypted thanks to the ubuntu default option in the installation menu. I don't care about the files but want to free up room on my harddrive. Can I just "rm -rf" the folders to free up the space? Right now when I click on the folders only two files are visible "Access-your-private-data.desktop" and "README.txt"; the folder properties state that it only has a size of 100 bytes which is definately wrong.

Again, just wondering if I can "rm -rf" the folder to free up the space on my HDD. Or do I have to boot up using an alternate OS, mount the folder, decrypt and then delete it that way somehow?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Can I delete old encrypted home folders?

As long as the accounts themselves are deleted, a quick
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfv
    to the home directory (/home/[username]) should do the trick.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    As long as the accounts themselves are deleted, a quick
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfv
    to the home directory (/home/[username]) should do the trick.
    Ok, just tried this. As I feared, the operation only superficially deleted the folder and the two files "Access-Your-Private-Data.Desktop and README.txt"; there was no corresponding increase in free space. Now, without a full reformat of the entire disk, I believe those files will permanently take up space on the HDD since they are encrypted and there is no way to access them since I deleted the home folders as was suggested.

Let this serve as a warning to anyone else who wishes to do the same thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Those two files were a README and a shortcut to the program designed to help the user access the data, which should be stored in `/home/[username]/.private`. Deleting them would only get you the 100 Kb. Are you sure you deleted the home directory itself, not just the Desktop folder or something else? What is the command you used and the output?
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Those two files were a README and a shortcut to the program designed to help the user access the data, which should be stored in `/home/[username]/.private`. Deleting them would only get you the 100 Kb. Are you sure you deleted the home directory itself, not just the Desktop folder or something else? What is the command you used and the output?
    /home/[username]/.private is a symlink to /home/.ecryptfs/[username]/.private
    Deleting /home/.ecryptfs/[username] will free up the disk space.