Thread: recent switch from Windows 7 64-bit here at work..

Beans

recent switch from Windows 7 64-bit here at work..

Ok so last friday I switched... been running Win7 64 for the past couple years now simply because we are a Windows shop. Anyway after not rebooting for literally three months (yes I know.. shame, shame!) I bounced it and all hell broke loose. To make a long story short it floundered like a shot duck.

So I am now running 12.04 on an HP Z400 Xeon, 12gb ram, 750gb hdd and an ATI Radeon HD 6850. I've have a few tiny issues with the graphics being ATI but all in all I think it'll do ok. My question right now is for graphical performance. I am in IT here so I'm not trying to run CAD applications but I am using a triple monitor setup. Obviously there's some lag when dragging windows between screens. I am running Catalyst 12.10.17

Glxgears gives @2600fps and I am running Gnome3 on lightdm.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: recent switch from Windows 7 64-bit here at work..

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Welcome to the forums. You might have more luck here.

Beans

You should check the AMD site, since I believe that Catalyst 13.4 (at least) is available for your chipset: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Actually I was reading the version earlier from within AMDCCC.. the version I had downloaded and installed was 13.4 straight from the website.

Is that what you'd recommend though, the one from them or via Restricted Drivers? I know performance is usually in teh eye of teh beholder but there's gotta be some hard numbers on which 'should' perform better.

Beans

It's generally better to install using the Additional Drivers option because if you do that, when you later do updates that affect the kernel version, the drivers get updated automatically. Otherwise, you have to remove and reinstall the drivers with every kernel update. Just don't select the "post upgrade" version if that is offered. Those seem to fail most of the time.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.