Thread: mp3 playback on USB Devices copied from linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile mp3 playback on USB Devices copied from linux

Hi all I have a bit of an issue with mp3 files on USB
    In Ubuntu when I copy mp3's to a usb sitck to play in my car stereo or my home stereo which both have usb ports they wont play, I usually get a read error displayed on my devices.

If I boot into Windows and copy the same mp3's to the USB Stick it works fine in my car and home stereo I've even copied them off the usb and back on while in Windows and it works fine.

I've tried fromating the USB Stick in Windows and Ubuntu it does'nt make any difference, (formated to FAT32)
    In Ubuntu I have tried coping them from the cmd and from Banshee still a no go.

This is not actually a Ubuntu specific problem I have had the same problem on other distros aswell, just that I have been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog as my main OS.
    Im on Ubuntu 13.04.

thanks very much for your help
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    ~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Imagination is the key to Success.

Beans

Re: mp3 playback on USB Devices copied from linux

Are you testing the usb copies first with a Linux player, i.e. navigate using rhythmbox or whatever to the usb and see if they play ?
    Perhaps the copying is slower using Linux and not enough time is being give for the process ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ya they play fine from the USB when plugged into a Linux box or Windows playing them directly from the USB Key.

Though the other day I Copied a few mp3's onto a USB Key on my Ubuntu Box, I was in a hurry so I pulled the Key out without Right Clicking and ejecting it first and "surprise" the actually play in my Car Stereo, I'm not sure whats going on there, I usually always safely remove the USB Key as not to corupt the data on it.
    I'll try it again to make sure it wasn't a just a fluke.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    ~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Imagination is the key to Success.

Beans

Maybe it is to do with possible restrictions of software on the usb key, this is a bit of a wild guess now but some keys such as the sandisk cruser i have, had annoying U3 security features on them, which if you remove, might, just might, help you ?