Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting 13.04 to run on a USB stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Getting 13.04 to run on a USB stick.

I am trying to get 13.04 to run from a virtual box off of my 16 GB kingston USB stick. I was trying to do a full install on it so that I could use virtual box (I used the LiLi live USB tool to create the live usb). Every time I tried to do a full install, it didnt recognize my usb. I was using the presistance file on it, and I read that it wouldnt work for a full install. So I reformatted in the FAT32 and tried again without the persistance. Still no luck. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I dont want to have to keep using the live function. I would liek to be able to just plug in and go when ever I want to from anywhere I want to. I did a little google searching and searched around on previous posts seemed to be people just asking how to do it. Nothing with an issue like mine. Do I need to go down to the last version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Getting 13.04 to run on a USB stick.

You have to install uck and then you can do a proper full installation onto a USB stick. You need at least a 8Gb stick, preferably 16Gb. Mine is a tight squeeze on 8Gb with a few games installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Following is step by step for installing 12.04 on a 8GB flash drive on an Intel machine.
    13.04 is similar except "add" = "+"

Turn off and unplug the computer. (See note at bottom)
    Remove the side from the case.
    Unplug the power cable from the hard drive.
    Plug the computer back in.
    Insert the flash drive.
    Insert the Live CD or Live USB.
    Start the computer, the CD/USB should boot.
    Select language
    Select install Ubuntu.
    Select Download updates while installing and Select Install this third-party software.
    Continue
    At "Installation type" select "Something else".
    Continue
    Confirm Device is correct.
    Select "New Partition Table"
    Click Continue on the drop down.

(Optional partition for use on Windows machine)
    Click "Free space" and "Add".
    Select "Primary".
    Make "New partition size..." about 1000 megabytes.
    Location = Beginning.
    "Use as:" = "FAT32 file system".
    And "Mount point" = /windows.
    Select "OK"

Click "free space" and then "Add".
    Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 4000 to 6000 megabytes, Beginning, Ext4, and Mount point = "/" then OK.

(Optional home partition)
    Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 1000 to 4000 megabytes, Beginning, Ext2, and Mount point = "/home" then OK.

(Optional swap space, allows hibernation)
    Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = remaining space, (1000 to 2000 megabytes, or same size as RAM), Beginning and "Use as" = "swap area" then OK.

(Important)
    Confirm "Device for boot loader installation" points to the USB drive. Default should be ok if HDD was unplugged.

Click "Install Now".
    Select your location.
    Continue.
    Select Keyboard layout.
    Continue.
    Insert your name, username, password, computer name and select if you want to log in automatically or require a password.
    Selecting "Encrypt my home folder" is a good option if you are worried about loosing your USB drive.
    Select Continue.

Wait until install is complete.
    Turn off computer and plug in the HDD.
    Stick the side panel back on.

Note:
    You may omit disabling the hard drive if, when partitioning you choose to install grub to the root of the usb drive you are installing Ubuntu to, (ie sdb not sdb1). Be cautious, many people have overwritten the HDD MBR.
    You can revise grub later, if you wish.

Beans
    Distro

Following is step by step for installing 12.04 on a 8GB flash drive on an Intel machine.
    13.04 is similar except "add" = "+"

Turn off and unplug the computer. (See note at bottom)
    Remove the side from the case.
    Unplug the power cable from the hard drive.
    Plug the computer back in.
    Insert the flash drive.
    Insert the Live CD or Live USB.
    Start the computer, the CD/USB should boot.
    Select language
    Select install Ubuntu.
    Select Download updates while installing and Select Install this third-party software.
    Continue
    At "Installation type" select "Something else".
    Continue
    Confirm Device is correct.
    Select "New Partition Table"
    Click Continue on the drop down.

(Optional partition for use on Windows machine)
    Click "Free space" and "Add".
    Select "Primary".
    Make "New partition size..." about 1000 megabytes.
    Location = Beginning.
    "Use as:" = "FAT32 file system".
    And "Mount point" = /windows.
    Select "OK"

Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 4000 to 6000 megabytes, Beginning, Ext4, and Mount point = "/" then OK.

(Optional home partition)
    Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = 1000 to 4000 megabytes, Beginning, Ext2, and Mount point = "/home" then OK.

(Optional swap space, allows hibernation)
    Select "Primary", "New partition size ..." = remaining space, (1000 to 2000 megabytes, or same size as RAM), Beginning and "Use as" = "swap area" then OK.

(Important)
    Confirm "Device for boot loader installation" points to the USB drive. Default should be ok if HDD was unplugged.

Click "Install Now".
    Select your location.
    Continue.
    Select Keyboard layout.
    Continue.
    Insert your name, username, password, computer name and select if you want to log in automatically or require a password.
    Selecting "Encrypt my home folder" is a good option if you are worried about loosing your USB drive.
    Select Continue.

Wait until install is complete.
    Turn off computer and plug in the HDD.
    Stick the side panel back on.

Note:
    You may omit disabling the hard drive if, when partitioning you choose to install grub to the root of the usb drive you are installing Ubuntu to, (ie sdb not sdb1). Be cautious, many people have overwritten the HDD MBR.
    You can revise grub later, if you wish.

Edit:
    My experience is that Vbox runs very slowly when installed on Ubuntu on a USB2 flash drive.
    But it is the only way I know to run AutoCAD from a portable flash drive.
    Should not be too bad on a good USB3 flash drive.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; June 11th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cameron, This is on my laptop, I dont want to go and spelunking around the inside of my laptop. It just sounds easier to use the live function whenever I want to use it. Thanks for the help though.

Beans
    Distro

Beans

You can disable the harddrive inside the BIOS. You can disable some other things as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 onto a USB drive several times. Boot from the live DVD and plug in the USB drive - preferably 16GB as advised by jim_deadlock. Select Install from the main menu when the DVD has loaded. When you get to the installation to drive part make sure you select the USB drive (which maybe sdb or hdb - make sure it is not your hard drive which is usually sda or hda!) to use as the installation drive. I have used USB drives formatted to ext4 and ntfs without any trouble. I have acheived this with just the live DVD without any other installation software such as unetbootin or uck.
    Make sure you select the correct drive for the boot MBR (sdb or hdb) otherwise you will overwrite the MBR on the Hard Drive. See the post by C.S.Cameron
    When the installation is complete, remove the live DVD and reboot.
    As the computer starts to reboot select the BIOS setup procedure (on my Desktop I have to use F10 and on the laptop F2). In the BIOS settings go to the setting that allows you to select the USB drive instead of the Hard Drive to boot from then save the setting and exit to reboot. You will have to do this on any computer on which you want use the USB to boot from.
    You do not need to disable the hard drive nor do you need to get into the box itself - just to boot from the USB port. I have used this procedure to boot from a USB drive in computers that are up to 10 years old - so it should be feasible on any modern computer.
    HTH
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan.Brown; June 12th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
    HP-200-5220a - Pentium Dual Core - 3GHz
    Xubuntu 13.10, Kubuntu 13.10

Acer 5750Z - Intel Dual Core - 2.1GHz

Xubuntu 13.10; Kali Linux; Puppy Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by at2smithjason View Post
    I am trying to get 13.04 to run from a virtual box off of my 16 GB kingston USB stick. I was trying to do a full install on it so that I could use virtual box (I used the LiLi live USB tool to create the live usb). Every time I tried to do a full install, it didnt recognize my usb. I was using the presistance file on it, and I read that it wouldnt work for a full install. So I reformatted in the FAT32 and tried again without the persistance. Still no luck. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I dont want to have to keep using the live function. I would liek to be able to just plug in and go when ever I want to from anywhere I want to. I did a little google searching and searched around on previous posts seemed to be people just asking how to do it. Nothing with an issue like mine. Do I need to go down to the last version?
    Going back to your opening post:

- Why do you want to run VirtualBox off of a USB stick? I don't think you can boot VirtualBox from USB.

- Do you really want persistence? That is possible with the workaround, that you use a virtual disk instead of a USB device. But it is much easier to install directly from the iso file.

Keep the iso file in the host operating system. Make a virtual optical drive (CD/DVD), and connect it to the iso file. Then when you start the virtual machine, it will boot from it, as if it was a real boot CD or DVD. And you can make a normal installed system, which is better than a persistent live system.

Edit: Or maybe I misunderstood what you want to do. Do you want the VirtualBox virtual machine files on a USB drive?
    Last edited by sudodus; June 12th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Going back to your opening post:

- Why do you want to run VirtualBox off of a USB stick? I don't think you can boot VirtualBox from USB.
    I have run AutoCAD on Windows 7 on Vbox on Ubuntu on USB2 flash drive.
    Verrrrrry Slooooooooow.
    Might work ok on a good USB3 drive.

Edit:
    Part of my problem was that I had Vbox installed in Ubuntu on one 8GB drive and the Windows virtual disk with ACAD on another 8GB drive.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; June 14th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast