Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Burner Feedback Requested...(XF Burn)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

DVD Burner Feedback Requested...(XF Burn)

I use ubuntu (main edition with unity) and i have always found (in recent years) Brasero to be pretty quirky and unreliable, so i always install K3b which works great...
    I was just curious about XF BURN (the Xfce dvd burner)...never tried it before and i was wondering how well it works so i thought perhaps some who use it could give me their feedback

I mostly use the burner to make iso images of linux distros and often make data dvds and cds of either video files or mp3 music files...

How reliable is it? Also, can it make a copy to copy of an encrypted dvd like the way k3b can? (not imperative for me...but was curious)...
    Can you select various burn speeds? Does it eject the dvd properly? etc....
    Last edited by craig10x; June 10th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DVD Burner Feedback Requested...(XF Burn)

I love it! Never made a coaster with Xfburn. "Lighter" than K3B because it doesn't need all those KDE libraries (if you have room on your HDD though, just keep K3B. It's completely reliable for me too.

Beans
    Distro

I took the plunge and installed it and just burned a data dvd with a bunch of videos...seems to work very smoothly and even ejected the dvd at the end properly...

It seems a heck of a lot better then brasero for sure...I do have k3b on my system now and it's always been great but i was curious about XF Burn since adding K3b brings in a big bunch of KDE libraries as you said, and my thought was that when i next re-install ubuntu (13.10) perhaps i could use it instead and wouldn't have to add in K3b (which is the only kde program i am using on here)...so i figured i'd "experiment"

By the way, when burning a data dvd i always like it to burn at the highest speed possible...On XFburn is it best to use the "auto" setting or should i manually set it for say 8x?
    Iso images i always do at the lowest setting available (which seems to be 3x)...

Also, is it possible to make "copy to copy" (inserting an already burned dvd and making a copy of it directly) on xfburn....i don't seem to see that option (k3b does have that option)...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 10th, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Xburn and am well satisfied. Way better than Brasero.
    PopularPages, a useful index of the most frequently accessed pages in the Community Help Wiki.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Nero

Beans
    Distro

Xf Burn seems to work very well and burns quite nicely it seems from the "tests" i did yesterday (unlike Brasero) it is a bit more basic then K3b but nice to use...
    As far as the Nero suggestion....isn't that a paid program? also, isn't that a very old version for linux (i get the impression that perhaps they are no longer active with linux anymore)...

Also....question for you XF Burn users: I don't see an option to do "copy to copy" in other words, insert a disc for it to make a copy to another disc...
    You know, when you have an already burned dvd that you want to make a copy of by having it save the data on that dvd, eject and then insert a blank dvd to have it burn the data on to the new dvd...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 11th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

I gave up on the gui burners a while back and use commandline techniques which I published here:

CD and DVD Writing from the Linux Command Line
    *********************************/burning.html

I have never produced a coaster from these 'recipes'
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

I think i would prefer to stay with gui burners...
    Incredible how ubuntu could have such a flawed and defective dvd burner as the default burner...

I burned a 4 gb data dvd on XF BURN in 7 minutes...then i tried doing the same in Brasero....oh, it burned it fine...just one problem...it took 50 Minutes
    No wonder there are so many terrible ratings for it in the Ubuntu Software Center...

Just too bad the XF BURN doesn't have Copy to Copy...otherwise it is excellent and so simple to use...

Beans

k3b

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi all,

I'm using Xubuntu and would like to try XFburn since Nero is dead and gone.
    I also have Brasero installed but reading the previous posts I think I may have to think it over.

I don't want K3B because of all the KDE dependencies.

Is it possible to add subs to a XVid or .AVI with Xfburn?
    And I can't find the 'make a DVD' button...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast