Thread: Crazy WiFi problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Crazy WiFi problem.

So I tried to give Salix OS a go on my 'puter but it looked way too much like Mac OS9(i.e. really out dated) to get excited about AND it'd not give me sudo user privilages to do anything in Terminal soooooooo, I tried to install Linux Mint 13 but that was a "no go" at which point I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04.
    I've just about got everything back up and running but for some reason I can't get the wireless connection going again.
    I've done the "sudo apt-get install rfkill" and "rfkill unblock all" deal, pushed my WiFi button too, everything in the System area is good to go(airplane mode off, wireless "on") but it just won't connect. Also, my Roku player went down too, it uses wireless and I can't connect to WiFi with my wife's computer either.
    I wonder if it's a bigger WiFi problem then just on my computer or what? The modem looks like it's running ok, all the right lights are on, wireless, dsl, internet, ect. but nothing that uses WiFi will work. Just crazy, isn't it. Any best guesses as to what might be wrong? Thanks.
    Last edited by TNFrank; June 11th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro

Re: Crazy WiFi problem.

This has got to be something wrong with my router. I even went in to re-config it to make sure all the pass words and stuff were correct and that it was actually "on" and everything is good to go but still, no WiFi to my 'puter, my wife's 'puter or the Roku box. This is some very crazy stuff right here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First, what type of router do you have? Also, you should try refreshing your router by unplugging it for at least ten seconds and plugging it back in. Give it a few minutes to boot up fully. Or, you can go into your router's settings and restore it to factory defaults. That should be somewhere under management or something in the router's settings page in your web browser.

Beans
    Distro

I've turned it off a few times and even did a hard reset. It's a Gigaset Model 7550 and has been working for a couple three year and even with Ubuntu 12.04 for the last couple weeks. I seriously think there's a problem in the router somewhere, maybe an antenna problem or something internal that I can't fix on the interweb. Frontier is suppose to send a guy out tomorrow to look things over. Maybe he'll find out what the problem is.
    It just gets frustrating for things to have worked then all of a sudden stopped. I mean I might understand if only my computer was having problems but I did nothing to my wife's computer or to the Roku box to make them stop picking up WiFi.
    My wired connection works fine, as you can tell because I'm on the interweb typing this to you right now hooked to my Firewire cable into the modem.

Beans
    Distro

Well, seems that when I did the hard reset on my modem it also reset the password to factory specs. I was trying to have all my stuff long in with MY password, the WiFi was looking for IT'S password so it wouldn't let me in. The Tech came out and reset my password(also told me the factory one was on the bottom of the modem,LOL) and now everything works just like it's suppose to.