Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't start Ubuntu Live CD for 13.04 installation on Win8 UEFI system

Beans

Re: Can't start Ubuntu Live CD for 13.04 installation on Win8 UEFI system

That's a luxury many of us don't have! At any given time my family has a simgle computer; I prefer to do everything on Ubuntu and so do my wife and kids. But our most recent machine is ten years old, and folks from work send me Microsoft Office stuff -- no, LibreOffice is great but never quite seamlessly converts -- and my daughter gets PowerPoint assignments from school, and software that works with other electronics in the house often has no Linux equivalent -- so Windows is always going to be there somewhere. If I have to pick only one, I _want_ to pick Ubuntu -- but _have_ to pick Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some systems only install in BIOS mode but Boot-Repair can convert a BIOS install to UEFI by uninstalling grub-pc(BIOS) and installing grub-efi(UEFI).
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'm trying that now, oldfred, will post on the results....

Beans

OK, here's something I don't understand at all, maybe it'll help jgriendl too, but there's clearly Deep Bios Stuff going on here that I don't get.

So again, the issue has been, if I boot up from the 13.04 installation DVD under UEFI, I get to the GRUB menu but no further -- any choice (try, install, check disk) and everything hangs. If I enable legacy booting and boot up legacy (and of course the route to the GRUB menu looks different), then I can do all that stuff and maybe install but I have been reluctant to do the install because I want to UEFI dual boot (although per oldfred's note above it is conceivable that boot repair will "convert" the legacy boot to a UEFI boot.) Now I do all this by hitting F10 at startup and getting intothe BIOS menu where I can do things like enable Legacy boot, disable "fast boot" (disabled throughout of course), disable Secure Boot (necessary to enable legacy booting), etc. Then I get to the BIOS boot menu and tell it what source I want to boot up from and whther I want to UEFI boot or legacy boot.

SO, I've given up and am going to legacy boot from the DVD, and install, and see what happens. Meaning, I go into the BIOS menu, disable secure boot, enable legacy boot, boot up off the DVD. Now note: I've disabled secure boot before without enabling legacy boot, UEFI booted up off the DVD, and had the problem above. And I've enabled legacy boot and legacy booted up off of the DVD and things were fine.

But today, with legacy boot enabled, I chose for the hell of it -- one last hurrah -- to UEFI -- not legacy -- boot off of the DVD. And it did it. Just fine. And I'm running, and the install seems OK. But if I disable legacy boot -- even though the GRUB menu comes up as if I UEFI booted -- then the computer hangs. Now, GRUB sees Windows, but it can't boot off of Windows, so I'm going to start going through the whole boot repair jazz and see what happens. But, just FYI -- and in the hopes that this helps jgriendl, who can maybe push this more forward -- this is what I've got so far.

Beans

Wow, that's entertaining. Did boot-repair, got http://paste.ubuntu.com/5771586.

Now the GRUB menu comes up and if I boot into Ubuntu, it hangs for all time. But if I boot into WIndows, all is well. Go figure. Ubuntu seems to have killed itself.

Beans
    Hidden!

I had a similar situation with a Toshiba laptop, installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 alongside Windows 8 in UEFI, and had to use YannBuntu's Boot-Repair script to make grub able to boot both Ubuntu and Windows. It worked with the default one-button method.

But after a while, I think after updating Windows, the booting was damaged, and I had to run Boot-Repair once more. It is still working.

A difference was that I managed to install in the first try.

But I am a total noob regarding UEFI and needed help from oldfred, in spite of all my beans

-o-

Anyway, as soon as you have a working dual boot system, make a complete backup of it, so that you can restore it, if it gets corrupted.

Beans
    Hidden!

I ran Boot-Repair from a live USB drive (not from the installed system). It is a the system suggested by YannBuntu, if I remember correctly based on Ubuntu 12.10 (so more or less Ubuntu desktop 12.10 plus Boot-Repair).

I leave the interpretation of the pastebin data to the experts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you get to grub menu after install and can Boot Windows that is great and you are past the UEFI issues and probably into video issues or other boot parameters needed.

What video card/chip?

Does recovery mode, possibly under Advanced options submenu, boot?

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    BIOS live installer Boot Options
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Perhaps, oldfred, but I am confused -- Ubuntu runs just fine under the live DVD (UEFI boot with legacy boot enabled, again --?) after all, there's no missing video driver there. The video card is a Radeon HD 7660D (so there should be an open-source driver).

Recovery mode does not boot.

Beans

OK, I'm 90% there. I can boot Ubuntu or Windows. Windows is never an issue. Ubuntu will _only_ startup if legacy booting is enabled and secure boot disabled. So much for UEFI or secure booting -- BootRepair can't help me. Latest result at http://paste.ubuntu.com/5772728. I suppose this will work; I have both operating systems there. But I'll try to get Secure Boot enabled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast