Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't start Ubuntu Live CD for 13.04 installation on Win8 UEFI system

Beans

Can't start Ubuntu Live CD for 13.04 installation on Win8 UEFI system

Folks, I feel like a lot of variants of this question have been asked but that the specific cases are pretty divergent, and nothing I've found on these threads has solved my issues -- so here goes.

I've got a new computer -- an HP Pavillion with Windows 8 preloaded, made in late 2012, with an AMD Trinity A10-5700. I've set up quite a few dual-boot computers with XP/Ubuntu and Win7/Ubuntu -- you always need the Windows for crap people send you from work! -- and that's easy enough but I get that "Fast Boot" and UEFI create all kinds of fascinating issues for Windows 8, though I'm not BIOS-savvy enough to really get those issues.

So: I made an Unbuntu installation CD (under Ubuntu, from an older Win7/Ubuntu machine). Downloaded 64-bit 13.04 (I've tried all this stuff with the 12.04 LTS too, I've gone to 13 because I know there's a UEFI support issue). If I disable "Fast boot" then I can (UEFI) boot up on the Ubuntu Installation disk and it takes me straight to the menu screen (the "Try Ubuntu" "Istall Ubuntu" "Test disk" jazz.) Cool beans. But no matter what I pick -- nothing happens. The computer hangs, forever.

Disabling "Secure Boot" mnakes no difference (except that the screen flashes "Secure Boot not enabled" before going to that menu).

If I _enable_ Legacy booting, then I can boot up on the install CD, I can try ubuntu and mess around, and I can go through the motions to install, but I haven't completed that process because it's my understanding that I want to install the bootloader under UEFI so it plays well with the Windows partition.

So, why can I only start up in Legacy mode?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can't start Ubuntu Live CD for 13.04 installation on Win8 UEFI system

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Given the computer, you have done most everything right, as far as I understand. My question is if the computer is set to allow other operating systems in UEFI mode. But I'm here to learn. In spite of all my beans, I'm a newbie in the discussions about UEFI.

Edit: Aaah, you boot from CD. Syslinux is used in legacy booting, and grub.efi in UEFI booting. Can grub boot from a CD, or should it be booted from USB? I can boot my Toshiba with Windows 8 in UEFI in both modes, but I have only tried from USB (and the internal drive).
    Last edited by sudodus; June 10th, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

You can certainly boot, and install, in UEFI mode from a CD (actually DVD in my case) and I did it only two or three months ago with Xubuntu 12.04.2 64bit. I have no idea about the possibility of 32 bit systems doing the same as I did not want 32 bit and therefore did not try that out. Neither can I help with any differences Win 8 may make as I no longer run any Windows system in the house.

Are you sure the iso file you used to burn the CD was good (see info at UbuntuHashes - MD5sum) and burn at lowest possible speed, then check the CD by hitting any key at the first screen that appears. If all is OK you may wish to try one by one, the boot options by pressing F6.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad to learn that you can boot, and install, in UEFI mode from a CD.

I think you found something. UEFI does not allow 32-bit systems (at least not Ubuntu 32-bit).

Beans

Thanks for the welome! And for the thoughts.

What I've got on my DVD (sorry, "CD" was laziness on my part, it's a DVD) is in fact 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04; ain't no 32-bit involved here. So that's not my issue. I feel good about the DVD, both becuase I got the official distro and burned it at the lowest speed and hash-checked it, and then because I thought, what the hell, DVDs are cheap -- and did it all again. And as I mentioned, I have this problem both with the 13.04 iso and the 12.04 LTS, so I guess that's three slow-burned DVD's....
    Last edited by skrishna; June 10th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It seems some computers only install with BIOS and you have to convert to UEFI with Boot-Repair. Some boot Windows with secure boot on or off and install in UEFI mode without issue. And some only boot the Windows efi file which is not per UEFI and again Boot-Repair has a work around by renaming grub's shim to make it work.

Other HPs.

HP 4545s Secure boot off, manually copy files.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2133796
    HP Manually renamed files to make it work.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2131886
    HP p6-2326 Ubuntu and windows 8 Boot DVD
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093445
    Installing Ubuntu on HP Envy-6 Details of what worked post #11
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123975
    HP to get into UEFI/BIOS menu - escape then f10 as soon as it starts.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=5171079
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks, oldfred -- it's taken me a while to work through all those suggestions, but still no dice.

On the other hand --MAN, there's a lot of Windoiws 8 dual-boot install threads running around here, new ones even since I posted. So I'm going to read through all that stuff. If nothing else works I'll legacy boot the DVD, install off of that, and then see if I can somehow Boot-Repair/EasyBCD myself into a dual-boot UEFI system....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Part of the issue with UEFI and secure boot is that every vendor has implemented it somewhat differently and sometime even different models of one vendor are not the same.

So it requires the user to understand a lot about UEFI, which almost no one does, and then see what differences are with his specific system.

Eventually vendors will clean up bugs in UEFI, Ubuntu/grub will figure out most of the different ways and have work arounds for most of them. But that is a while into the future. In the mean time we just have to try various alternatives and see what works.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Same problem for me, with diff computer (MSI GT 60)
    I've tried everything i've found - w/o success. always black screen if i try or install ubuntu (same version as above)

If i try a "legacy" boot with a non uefi ubuntu, install works, but doesnt not see my windows install. So i didnt execute installation, for now.

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Laptop makers cater to Microsoft with their custom BIOS. What's wrong with Legacy mode? I wiped off Win8 from my laptop and Linux works just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast