Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Network Devices detected during install 12.10 mini.iso

Beans

No Network Devices detected during install 12.10 mini.iso

Currently have Ubuntu 12.10 installed on Shuttle XS35GSV3 and been having some problems with AMD drivers and XBMC.

Was suggested to me that I try some beta drivers with a 12.10 minimal install. So, I downloaded the 64 bit version of 12.10 from http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso

I burned the ISO to a CD and once into the install process the installer indicates that no network devices were found. Tried again from a USB drive, same result. Tried the 32 bit version with the same result.

Have a wired connection.

Any ideas why network devices would not be detected? What do I need to do to get the minimal install to work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No Network Devices detected during install 12.10 mini.iso

Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

You probably need to bone up on the mini.iso install. It is not like a desktop, it doesn't just install and that's that. You need to tell the mini install what to drag in when you're installing it. If you didn't do that, you pretty much have the Ubuntu base kernel and not much else. You need to install Network Manager and anything else you might need manually.

When you are installing, you should have gotten the option to connect to internet then. You need to do this else you can't install any packages as the mini install is just the base kernel.

Generally, you need to make a list of what you are going to need then type that in at that part of the install (you need to type 'cli' at the cursor to get there). Anyway, look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

There's plenty of info on the interwebs about this ...

PS: Unless you installed one manually when you were installing the mini you don't even have a desktop environment I suspect, just a cli. I'd probably suggest getting familiar with the mini.iso install, prepare, then reinstall and follow the steps carefully (you need to tell it how to get online in the early stages). Good luck. It's worth the effort I reckon as mini installs are super fast.

PPS: You haven't tried to fix the problems with 12.10 and Xbmc, etc? You might have the same issue with any 12.10 install. Tried an LTS, 12.04 for instance?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 10th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the reply Bucky Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    ... You need to install Network Manager and anything else you might need manually ... When you are installing, you should have gotten the option to connect to internet then.
    But the network devices are not found and therefore I cannot connect to the internet to download / install any other bits and pieces. I have a bit of a laundry list of other bits and pieces to install per this post over at the XBMC forum http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...0883#pid960883

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    PPS: You haven't tried to fix the problems with 12.10 and Xbmc, etc? You might have the same issue with any 12.10 install. Tried an LTS, 12.04 for instance?
    Yep, hot on the trail of a fix. Trying the mini with a beta AMD driver as recommended by XBMC gurus.

Beans

I think that 12.10 minimal is missing the jme driver. Not sure how to make this work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Whatever that is, you would need to install it manually unless it is part of the Ubuntu base kernel. I repeat, any software or apps you want to use you are going to need to install manually. I would start with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 synaptics
    That will install a desktop environment and a package manager. Unless you want to do everything from a terminal that is.

If you have a wired connection, all good. You can set wireless up later. That is NOT going to work out of the box with a minimal install in every situation. Try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager
    You can get your wireless going with that, probably. A minimal requires quite a bit of research and preparation. It is not really something to do on a whim unless you are ready for a steep learning curve or already know what you're doing. Good luck with it.

Beans

After banging my head against a wall for many hours over the past few days I conclude that a minimal install is not going to happen.

No matter what I try, I cannot get the installer to "detect" my network card and therefore it is not possible to download any packages for installation. I've seen this problem reported occasionally by others but they were never really given any help with solutions.

A one liner to just "Choose Command-line-install and use xbmc for username" made it all seem so simple.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Might be easier to just install Xbmc if a media server is what you're after. A minimal is not for the faint hearted and sometimes hard to get right. As I say, they can take quite a bit of planning.

Then again, if you 'cli' at the prompt during install you will get a cursor and the option to install whatever you want/need. Have you tried typing there something like:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbmc
    I have no doubt you would need to add more than that, though.

Beans

Thanks for taking the time ...

I actually have a running XBMC setup under 12.10. I have AMD graphics which is apparently problematic under Linux. I have been getting some help over at XBMC forums with a specific audio / video problem where the recommendation was to try a minimal install and a specific beta driver.

So, a "normal" ubuntu install detects my wired network and runs off on it's merry way. A minimal install on the same machine cannot detect my wired connection and because it wants to download packages etc it cannot.That is where I'm stuck.

Your reference to CLI is the fundamental process that I need to follow. I have a laundry list of things I need to instal via the CLI. But no internet means no install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Got ya. As I mentioned earlier, during the install there is a section near the beginning where you input your network details and get online before any of the rest happens. You're missing it. You need to enter gateway IP, DNS IPs, subnet mask, network name, etc. If you're not doing that bit that would be the problem. It is one of the first steps from memory, but I haven't done a mini in couple of years.

PS: With that shopping list, try and avoid anything your really don't need. Chucking too much on there (if you intend to install ubuntu-desktop, for instance, just install Ubuntu!) would defeat the purpose of a mini install and increase the possibility of whatever is causing issues getting reinstalled.

You might want to follow the instructions at the link I provided to the letter and try again from the start.

1/ Boot from the CD;
    * After inputting details, including network details, choose 'Manual Package Selection';
    * Add your package list I guess, with 'sudo apt-get install ...'

I realise the way I remember was probably the command line install:
    2/ Type CLI;
    3/ You should get to another prompt where you can input tasksel to select which system profile you want. I've never used this. From memory you are in regular CLI there and as long as you are online you should be able to start installing things.

I have a spare partition and a bit of time so might install the mini later and have a look. Been meaning to do another one (I still sometimes think of that 12 seconds from power on to login screen just as I'm about to drift off to sleep).

PS: Just follow this:

http://www.maketecheasier.com/instal...top/2012/02/24

It's all there.

PPS: I generally choose to partition manually and size the partition. The mini iso can just be chucked on a 10Gb partition (probably 5Gb or less in reality but you want some room to expand). Now days I let it install /home as a directory in /, kill all the folders in /home once installed and create symlinks to the folders on my /storage partition instead. Then all installs can use same data.

A morning mouthful, sorry about that. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 15th, 2013 at 03:51 AM.

Beans

Thanks again Bucky Ball, I will have another look at the minimal install as per your suggestions. The link you provided seems to miss out the one step I'm getting hung up on, that is the "detect network devices" or similar. I comes up right before the hosthame screen. It appears to be looking for a network interface or a live connection, Just comes back and says no devices found. There is no opportunity to enter IP addresses etc.

Weekend is over for me so I'll be having a look as time is available.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast