Thread: Build Server USB installation

Beans

Build Server USB installation

Dear all,

I am having trouble with the server edition of 12.04.2 LTS of Ubuntu. I am trying to install it on a machine via USB Pen Drive. Unfortunately I have not succeeded up to this moment because the installation aborts on the step where it has to "copy some important files from the CD". I have tried all variants which where existing on the web but with no luck. Can you suggest me a way to build properly the USB Pen drive installation ?

cheers

dinko
    ! Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Beans

Re: Build Server USB installation

No one has an idea ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi d.atanasov.

I have not been able to install a server edition using an USB stick. There's a bug that references the CD, that to my knowledge, it hasn't been properly fixed.

There is a trick though, that some people swear about it, but it does not always work in my experience. You can found the details here and here.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Create the USB drive using dd if you're on a Linux machine or Win32 Disk Imager if you're on a Windows machine. Unlike all of the other methods used for creating a bootable USB these will create an exact copy of the iso file that won't have the issue you're facing.

For instructions check out this page, it's from the #! forums but works exactly the same with the Ubuntu Server images.
    http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23267
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I will give you more info when try them next few days. In principle I thought that many of the server machines now a days work with installation either through PXE either through the usb stick. I did not think even for a second that there will not be a server installation from USB. But life is full of surprises